1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Carer a fair rate of pay?

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by susanandliam, Aug 25, 2015.

1. susanandliam

susanandliam Registered User

Dec 10, 2012
    somerset
    Morning everyone,

I'm thinking of upping the caring my mum has per day to see if this can prolong her time in her own home for a while.

We use an agency which is expensive and to be honest some of the cares aren't great. There is someone who used to work for the agency but left to have a baby and she is lovely always seemed to be more caring and thoughtful to Mum.

I was thinking of keeping the agency on to a certain extent but asking this lady if she would be happy coming in for additional calls privately so many times a week.

The query is can I say to her that she would be self employed so responsible for all her tax etc. but then should I draw up some kind of contract?

And also do you think £12.00 an hour a good rate to offer her? I'm sure that's more than the agency pays her but I want to pay her a fair amount.

Advice please?!

2. Pete R

Pete R Registered User

Jul 26, 2014
    Staffs
  3. sistermillicent

sistermillicent Registered User

Jan 30, 2009
    I agree with Pete.
    I would say that £12 an hour is better than the going rate for a carer . We pay our qualified nurses £13. 50 an hour where I work.
    Bear in mind that whatever you pay the agency is well more than double what the carer would normally get - they cream off a massive percentage and lots of carers are on minimum wage.

4. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
    We pay the agency £11 50 a hour for our carer and they get £7 out of that,

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

5. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    Just be careful there isn't a clause in the contract you have with the agency that you can't employ their staff. It is one I had to sign. The rate I pay for home help is £15.50 hour which I think is high for someone to do shopping/cleaning. I don't know what the HH gets but probably the minimum wage:( and all on zero hour contracts I believe.:(

6. susanandliam

Dec 10, 2012
    somerset
    Carer

Thanks Sue I will check but seeing as she is on maternity and on a zero hours contract whereby they are paying her nothing is she still technically employed by them? Do they not forfeit a right to say what she does if they are not paying her?

7. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    I don't know in answer to your question but wise to check what you've signed, no doubt the agency want it all their way:rolleyes:

8. susanandliam

Dec 10, 2012
    somerset
    Thank you for all these me a good guideline of what is an acceptable rate of pay responses it's really helpful and gives me a guideline to go along

9. susanandliam

Dec 10, 2012
    somerset
    Carers Pay

Yes I will I daresay you are right!:eek:

10. Mrsbusy

Mrsbusy Registered User

Aug 15, 2015
    Think there is also a new law just come in that if you employ anyone at all even for caring you have provide something for their pension? Don't fully understand but do know a lot of it on radio 4 complaining and not very clear, but worth considering.

11. Pete R

Pete R Registered User

Jul 26, 2014
    Staffs
    For new employers it would not start till late 2017.:)