Carehome in lockdown

skinnny

May 5, 2020
Mums carehome is currently in lockdown due to 2 covid infections its been 2 weeks so I've texted the activities Coordinator to find out how mum is , as I haven't heard anything i also contacted the carehome manager this morning but so far nothing back.
I was also wondering if I would be told very much.
I would appreciate some feedback.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I guess you'll be told but can quite imagine its all hands to the pumps , sorting out a lockdown

Hope Mums manages to avoid it

Warren Rise

Jun 16, 2021
My mum is in a care home and has been for just over 2 years, we thought that she was reasonably happy until this weekend. It was the first time that we were allowed to take her out and she loved her time with us but said that it was like being released from prison, it was upsetting but we put it down to being kept locked up for so long. Today when we talked on the 'phone she said that she was being treated badly by the carers, she asked us not to make a complaint as she said that it would make things worse and they would take it out on her. We are now in a dilemma as we don't know if this is part of her condition or if she is being mistreated, and if it is the latter what we do next.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Warren Rise and welcome to DTP
Im afraid that accusations of being mistreated is very common with dementia. Before mum moved into her care home she told all her neighbours that I was stealing from her and abusing her - which I assure you, I was not. On another occasion mum showed me a small thumb-sized bruise on her arm and told me it was where one of the carers had pinched her very hard. It might have been believable, apart from the fact that the previous day I had been sat next to her when the district nurse had taken a blood sample and that was the resulting bruise. False memories are actually part and parcel of dementia when the brain is filling in the lost memories with false ones, so your mum is likely to really believe that this is happening, which makes it difficult for you.

I would talk to the manager about this as although abuse by care homes is fortunately very rare, you do need to satisfy yourself that the allegations are not, in fact, true.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
My husband used to say I had tried to throw him out of the car.
Apart from the objective difficulty to throw someone out of the car while I was driving, exhausted and exasperated as I might have been, I am not a killer.
I was also repeatedly accused of stealing his twelve cars.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
My husband used to say I had tried to throw him out of the car.
Apart from the objective difficulty to throw someone out of the car while I was driving, exhausted and exasperated as I might have been, I am not a killer.
I was also repeatedly accused of stealing his twelve cars.
@margherita Hope you got a good price for them! ;):eek::D

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Mums carehome is currently in lockdown due to 2 covid infections its been 2 weeks so I've texted the activities Coordinator to find out how mum is , as I haven't heard anything i also contacted the carehome manager this morning but so far nothing back.
I was also wondering if I would be told very much.
I would appreciate some feedback.
I hope that you have received feedback from the home. I appreciate their situation yet relatives/carers should be kept informed of their loved one's safety.