Carehome ignoring doctors orders

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
My Mums in a carehome and me and siblings have POA for everything. The manager has twice gone against advice from doctor/healthcare professional re medication. Really worried about opening a can of worms and making evetything worse around visits/lack of visits etc. Should I be feeling annoyed and questioning this or am I being unreasonable? After all the stress of last 6 months I dont know whats what!

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I am astonished that any care home would disregard a doctor's instructions. They would expose themselves to liability by doing so if things went wrong. You are quite right to question this. I have a little saying of my own: "If you want to grumble better, always stop to write a letter". I would get a letter to the manager in the post as soon as possible.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
That does seem odd. I would raise it in a non-aggressive way in case there has been a misunderstanding of some sort. With anything concerning medication, I like to have an "audit trail" so use e-mail. Best not to be annoyed, just curious and looking for an explanation.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Was the care plan for your mum updated by the doctor?
Only doctors can alter the medication in the care plan and the care home has to follow the care plan.
Sometimes the doctors are a bit tardy about recording stuff, especially at the moment as they are going onto the care home less frequently because of covid.
Find out if the care plan has been correctly amended.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix