Care plans

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Does anyone know if it is legal requirement for a care plan to be in place when my MIL goes into respite? I made a formal complaint about her total lack of care last time and they phoned me with their response that she didn't have one in place. I think they shredded it

Before she went in first time I spent ages with the team leader regarding MIL hygiene needs and taking her clothes away from her every night as she a) will not wash without supervision and b) has no idea now about dirty smelly clothes

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Having a care plan is a legal requirement, 1954 , Health and Social Care Act 2008.

The issue I found when I worked in residential care is that the care/support staff had very little time to read individual care plans, even though to be fair, we did have them for each resident. We were - on paper - supposed to check the plans for each of the people on our 'list' for the shift, but in reality we got a brief hand over and there just wasn't the time allowed for us to sit and go over the care plans for the 10 - 12 residents that we had to see to :(

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I know for carers it is very difficult to go through the care plans for each resident but the care plan should be written by a senior member of staff on admission to identify all needs. These needs should then be communicated at handover so that carers should be aware of what the needs are and what care to give. Senior staff should then ensure that the needs are fulfilled by the carers. I think carers get a very raw deal and inadequate supervision and support.

1954 can you write a list of all her needs prior to her admission, they then wont have any excuse not to fulfil them?

Best wishes
Sue:)

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
It is a legal requirement and I agree with sue i would type out a list, email it to the care home manager, and take a copy in when I went in and then if a complaint is necessary and I really hope it wouldn't be after last time you will have all the evidence to report the home to adult safeguarding and the CQC which seems to be the only way to get improvements these days!!