Care plan

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
Got a social worker coming tomorrow to tallk about a care plan iam looking to get some help so I can keep my nan in her own home for as long as possible.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
My advice would be ask them what knowledge they have of dementia..assuming that s the diagnosis your nan has....tell them you need help...as we were told weve pretty much got things sorted...we are not helping ourselves...there are other avenues for help such as charities such as crossroads age uk etc...so if the local authority wont help there are good private companies also...try the ss lead services first...sorry to sound negative but if your prepared they cant waffle you...every social worker
is different and there are good stories...also...good luck

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
Good luck with that! With my mum she was very resistant to the idea - hopefully you nan will be more accepting.
First thing she agreed to was frozen meals delivered, (at a cost) but no carers. Then she agreed to carers to come in and heat the food (and encourage her to eat). Then they prompted her medicines as she was getting those in a muddle. Gradually increased to 3-4 times a day. Personal care was always difficult and only some of the older carers could persuade her to engage in that! I got her a cleaner (befriender, for company, cleaning and laundry) and dog walker.
It kept her at home for about a year or so. She was fiercely independent.
Mum refused to go to day centre (with all those old people!!) which is a disappointment (due to not wanting to leave dog home alone) as she really enjoyed the activities they do at them when she went into the care home eventually. They feed them there as well as activities, collect them and drop them back, I think in some they can even have a bath!!
I found that the more support mum had the more the gradually got used to it and even enjoy the carers popping in.

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
That really helps maby we will get her my nan used to the idea than slowly get more care as we go on that gives me something to think about thank you.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
A diligent SW who compiles a tight Care Plan can make a huge difference.

So for example if Dad refused personal care in the mornings it was written into his plan that bed linen should be checked and bed made, dirty clothes/linen to be put out by the washing machine.

Lunch time, any spare time used to pop up to the shops for anything Dad wanted.

Tea time carers were to empty the kitchen bin and put dishwasher on.

Basically the SW filled the carers allotted time so they couldn't leave early if they had only done the basics.

I know it all depends on the time allocated for care for your Nan but try to make sure there are extra little jobs mentioned in the care plan.

Depending on the Agency your LA use, housework can also be factored in, think Dad used to get an extra 2 hours cleaning time one day a week.

Dads carers were wonderful, I bump into them in the village on a regular basis. They all remember him, and ask after him, not sure if that is good or bad. :eek:

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
Thanks the sw come we r looking 1visit once a day to do my nan something to eat and 1 visit once a week for a shower

Stuart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife