Care packages- SS. What’s the protocol?

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Dear All,

Hope things are going not too badly for you all in January and you’re hanging in there and still got your sanity.
Quick question regarding care packages. Dads still in hospital and I’m waiting to hear from the OT nurse/ Dr regarding dad’s progress. The last time I spoke to a nurse she said that in his notes he’s down for needing 4 carers /day and a top up. He’s not very mobile and manages from his bed to chair in the ward with help. He uses a zimmer. He’s going to be self- funding. Do I need to wait for SS to start moving things or can I ask for an assessment of his home to get things moving on my own , since I’ve go combined POA & welfare?

Thanks for your insight.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sure you can get things moving yourself @garfield3

If your dad has settled in hospital it might be worth considering moving him from there into residential care rather than back to his own home.

If he is considered to need 4 carers a day plus, how long do you think that provision would be sufficient?

He has a progressive illness and it might be advisable to decide on residential care straight from hospital.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If he is going to be self-funded, yes you can organise carers yourself, but usually after a hospital stay you would get a period of time paid for by the NHS (my mum got 6 weeks, but I think they are less generous now) which would give you a bit of a breathing space to see how it is going and look for a permanent care agency - it can take a couple of week to get it installed at the best of times and at the moment covid is causing staffing problems so many care agencies are not taking on new contracts.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Thanks for both of your replies.

Forgot say that I'll be dad's carer. My husband and myself will be moving in with him. Unfortunately, it's a few months away since we've got things to sort first. Hubby is going over in a couple of weeks for a fortnight to look at options etc. Don't know if this idea will all work out.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
i'd imagine he'll get a 6 week package of 4 calls a day, suplied by whoever the hospital provider isfree of change , after that it will be up to you to arrange & him pay for