Care package?

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Hi again!
So, My mum was diagnosed in February with Alzheimer’s. Last Tuesday she had a problem with a “blockage” in her bowels and ended up in hospital (she’s still there now)..
On Friday Occupational Therapy rang my dad to say she is being assessed for a “care package”.
What does this mean please? Does it mean help at home or they want her to go into a home?
Any advice on what to say/do/look out for/ask etc at this time would also be great! Dad is doing ok and I help him but something tells me now is the time to ask for help or should I be wary?
Thank you!

Kapow

Nov 17, 2019
Hi again!
So, My mum was diagnosed in February with Alzheimer’s. Last Tuesday she had a problem with a “blockage” in her bowels and ended up in hospital (she’s still there now)..
On Friday Occupational Therapy rang my dad to say she is being assessed for a “care package”.
What does this mean please? Does it mean help at home or they want her to go into a home?
Any advice on what to say/do/look out for/ask etc at this time would also be great! Dad is doing ok and I help him but something tells me now is the time to ask for help or should I be wary?
Thank you!
I understand this means carer's coming in to help....these are the words they used to me regarding my husband when he was in hospital.Someone comes and assesses if the home is safe for your Mum,that she would be able to get around the house herself,and how much care she would need.If an elderly person is in hospital they won't discharge them to an unsafe environment,hence the checks.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
H @Cazcaz
This means help at home with carers. The hospital will be assessing her for her needs and will decide how much help she needs, although this will probably be for a limited amount of time. Once she has been assessed they will tell you what help she will receive and for how long. You can see how this goes and is probably a good time to try and get some help organised permanently. If your mum has savings you can just go ahead and contact care agencies yourself, otherwise contact Social Services and explain the situation.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
This link may be of help -

I would think that the assessment will be to determine what level of support is required to meet your mum’s needs. This may result in a number of carer visits throughout the day.

I would be honest in relation to setting out what you see a your mum’s needs. It might help to jot down your thoughts and concerns before the assessment.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Thank you everyone for the answers.
It’s been a bit of a week with the ambulance taking mum to hospital and then covid meaning restrictions on visiting (twice per week for most patients but because of mum’s Alzheimer’s they’re allowing a couple more) , so it’s not easy finding out what’s going on at all.
Then this “care package” thing without any explanation just left us a bit confused. Dad asked what the care package meant but they just stonewalled saying she was “being assessed” when we asked about why/what for/what the expected result might be (another way of asking WHY) they just kept repeating “she’s being assessed”. No explanation, nothing.
This forum is more helpful than the professionals.
Thank you.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
@canary @Izzy @Kapow
Thank you for your help.
Mum is home now. The “assessment” has resulted in “no change” according to the nurse on duty when we collected her. But no word from them directly.
Your help is very much appreciated.

Kapow

Nov 17, 2019
@canary @Izzy @Kapow
Thank you for your help.
Mum is home now. The “assessment” has resulted in “no change” according to the nurse on duty when we collected her. But no word from them directly.
Your help is very much appreciated.
You are very welcome.....hope all goes well for you all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN