Care package problems for leaving hospital

Sunny day

Apr 2, 2015
My Dad suffers from Parkinson's and Dementia and he was taken into hospital earlier this year after a fall. It's been a stressful time made more so by him having another fall whilst he was in there and them not letting us know, etc, etc.

I am wondering if you can offer any advice on the situation I currently have? My Dad wanted to leave hospital and they said he needed to have a care package in place before he could do so. The Social Worker at hospital arranged the care to start the day after he left hospital as they could not get anyone on the day. We were fine with that. Had someone morning and night for half hour. We understood it was free for four weeks and then we would be reassessed. Mum wanted to cancel night care visit almost immediately as she found it intrusive, but the hospital social worker advised her not to and to wait for the assessment. We had the four weeks they initially advised and then Mum decided we could manage so cancelled the care. I took them away for a few days.

We returned to find a letter saying we had been told the visits were chargeable!

We knew after four weeks we would need to pay, but not before. At no time were charges discussed. The reply from the social worker was quite rude. We would have arranged help ourselves had we known we could.

There has been so much more I have discovered since then including my parents being what I can only describe as being conned into signing a plan they were not explained. In fact they got my Dad to sign it! They were told he could not be washed or dressed before they had signed the papers. I realise they should have read it all, but apparently mum was told it was to confirm we were happy for them to take on his personal washing and at no time was she told the folder and information was hers. In fact she thought it was their private folder for visits?

I am at a loss as to where to go for help having rung Age UK, CAB, PALS complaints at hospital and been told not their concern. I have also asked for a Discharge Policy from the hospital and they say it is not something they give out!

Have you any ideas?

I am so sorry to bother you, but my parents were so upset and my Dad has been worse with the worry of the bill. To add to that I've been unwell and am finding this too much. We want to care for my Dad not have this stress.

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Welcome to Talking Point ,

It is awful you have to double check everything and get it written down, you can never take anything at face value,

We were told the same when my husband broke his leg he was in a CH for a few weeks as he kept forgetting he had broken his leg and tried to stand and was taken to the hospital with kidney failure,

When he came home I was told he had 6 weeks free care by the enablement team http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/help-at-home/care-after-leaving-hospital/ because he had gone to the CH first , they charged us,

We had a financial assessment done and did not have to pay it all but just a percentage,

Has he had a financial assessment done because they just charge what he can afford,

I hope you get something sorted I don't know where you can go for help have you tried phoning the Alzheimers Society,
Helpline number on 0300 222 11 22 or use the Live Online Advice service for dementia information and support,

Best wishes Jeany x

Sunny day

Apr 2, 2015
Thankyou

:)THANKYOU Jeany I have rung them and feel much more positive.x
I thought I'd done everything wrong, not listened and allowed us to be conned, but no it was not me. I will keep you posted. Thank you once again. I hope I can help others as you have helped me.x

Welcome to Talking Point ,

It is awful you have to double check everything and get it written down, you can never take anything at face value,

We were told the same when my husband broke his leg he was in a CH for a few weeks as he kept forgetting he had broken his leg and tried to stand and was taken to the hospital with kidney failure,

When he came home I was told he had 6 weeks free care by the enablement team because he had gone to the CH first , they charged us,

We had a financial assessment done and did not have to pay it all but just a percentage,

Has he had a financial assessment done because they just charge what he can afford,

I hope you get something sorted I don't know where you can go for help have you tried phoning the Alzheimers Society,
Helpline number on 0300 222 11 22 or use the Live Online Advice service for dementia information and support,

Best wishes Jeany x

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I am pleased to help, I hope you feel a bit better now and get everything sorted,

Good luck,

Jeany xx

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan