Care Manager app tomorrow

noodle31

May 1, 2005
kent
regarding moving dad from the assessment ward to a nursing home. They have assessed his needs and funding is being aplied for on friday, so we (my mum and I) have an app with the care manager tomorrow to discuss various things.

Have done loads research since yesterday, when the app was made......ie on bandings, and funding and various care homes in the area

Have very mixed emotions relief that he be somewhere other than hospital, guilt as i know the last place he wanted to be is a home, and exhaustion as my brothers are just leaving it all up to me and mum

One brother has said once a week visit is all he will ever do, the other brother who still hasnt visited has said he possibly never will, which is fine i guess.

So will keep you all updated

love Jane x

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Jane,

Regarding research into care homes, I don't know if you're familiar with the Commisson for Social Care Inspection web site?

You can search for care homes:

http://www.csci.org.uk/registeredservicesdirectory/RSSearchCategories.asp?Action=SearchCats&Type=CRH

And also read inspection reports:

http://www.csci.org.uk/inspection_reports/default.htm#1

These tools are perhaps not as good as personal recommendations, but they do help to give a rounded picture.

Try not to worry too much about your brothers' comments at this stage. Once you find a good home and your father is settled, they may change their minds.

Take care,

Sandy

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
At Jan's home, some families come en masse and make an event of their visit, making a fuss of their loved one, having a special tea. Wee children run around the place and all the other residents love that. They also love it when people bring pets in.

There is a huge fear factor at first about nursing homes. Once a few visits have been made, it is just like visiting them at their own home - if the place is run appropriately.

Perhaps when your brothers see the place, and if they get a good reaction, they may decide to visit more while they still can. He's still their Dad after all!

noodle31

May 1, 2005
kent
Thank you both

Thanks for that site Sandy, the CM gave me the link too, and i have looked up the possiblity that has been recommended.

Unfortunately there arent any vacancies at the min, but we still have to go through the protocols of getting on the waiting list.

Altho by time a vacancy arises dad will poss be on the "continual care" banding so all of this wont be needed.

He is being classed as med/high at the minute.

Having care home background in mental health has its advantages as in i know what to look for when visiting a home.

we are going to look at one on monday

thank you again

love Jane x