care in the home

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
Hi

We are thinking we may have to get help from an outside homecare agency whilst we await an assessment from SS for my mom who had Alzheimer's. and chronic panic attacks in the mornings. Can anyone give advice on what these care agencies are like as I hear all sorts of things. The only other alternative is for one of us to resign and look after her. I am 58 and my sister is 45. Our mom cannot take being alone and won't join in any outside activities

any advice greatly received

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
There are some great care agencies out there and others which are rubbish. You could start by looking at the CQC website for agencies in your area and see how they are rated. My top tip is to write down in as much detail as possible exactly what you want them to do and what matters most and be clear about your expectations. By and large the agency we used for mum were OK, and as I lived a long way away it was a huge relief that someone was checking on mum twice a day. They alerted us to problems we might not have known about otherwise eg mum leaving the gas on unlit. It was a carer too who found mum when she had fallen one morning; she could have been there for ages otherwise and she didn't remember that she could press her alarm pendant for help. The carers were all nice people too.

Things which caused initial problems:

Sending different people all the time instead of the maximum of 3 different carers we had been promised.

Not turning up on time. Sometimes more than 15 minutes late for a half-hour call without any notification. Mum would get anxious and phone me and I of course would have no idea what the problem was.

Communication with me. The carers phoned their admin office to report any concerns and then admin would phone me. I would have preferred to speak to them directly so that we could build up a relationship and they could get to know more about mum.

Not being proactive eg not thinking ahead when it was obvious that mum's tablets would run out over a bank holiday weekend (owing to screw-up by GP who should have delivered new prescription) resulting in a major hassle to get new tablets via the out-of-hours service.

These were all sorted eventually, but if I had asked a few more questions at the outset it would have been easier.

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
There are some great care agencies out there and others which are rubbish.

the bother is sending different people every day. In one week I had 6 different carers??!!

When I asked if we could have the same carer - I got a reply 'This is discrimination!!! Shocking.

Just ask all the questions, should have a Care Plan - check it regularly.

Good luck and I hope it will help you.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
the bother is sending different people every day. In one week I had 6 different carers??!!

When I asked if we could have the same carer - I got a reply 'This is discrimination!!! Shocking.

Just ask all the questions, should have a Care Plan - check it regularly.

Good luck and I hope it will help you.
I am sorry to hear you had that response Varandas, after much complaints about certain carers we were asked by the manager which ones we liked and she has tried to get those ones to us on a regular basis. Having the same people every day, holidays excepted of course, has helped OH to relax and develop a rapport with them. They also know what is needed.
I agree with you on the need to check the care plan and make sure the carers stick to it.
One other wee thing, our first agency made their workers clock in and out via a Freephone number, but the new one does not. We have raised it with the Council and they are looking into it.