1. Geraldine

Geraldine Registered User

Oct 17, 2003
    Nottingham
    Dear friends

have just come on the site at this unearthly hour with a sense of real relief. Flicking through Ceefax I found a care home in Nottingham has had workers sacked for abuse. With a sense of foreboding I looked at the story and although the home's name was not given it is the area where my Mum is and run by the same company. My heart sank and I came to the net full of panic to find out more. What a relief to find on the local news a picture of a neighboring home (that sounds dreadful, but I am just so pleased it is not Mum's). Looking at the story it has been investigated for a while and I imagine that relatives would have been told before the story hit the news...am I right? Apparantly according to the story an unnanounced inspection uncovered something.

My mind is now buzzing and I am very anxious, regular users of this site will know how pleased I and friends are with Mum's home but this sort of thing is a real worry. My Mum accused me and my husband of some terrible things while I was caring for her which is one of the reasons I knew I could no longer care at home. I'm rambling and after some sort of reassurance I think, my husband is on a night shift and there is no one around at this time of night to share my fears with.

regards

Geraldine

2. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    While there will undoubtedly be cases where some form of abuse will take place - there are good and bad peple everywhere - the term 'abuse' covers a heck of an area.

I don't know of the case you mention, but I guess if people have been sacked then there is something to it.

Many patients have bodies that are out of their control. They may destroy things, they may attack other patients or care home staff, they may wander continually, they may constantly move furniture, their bodies may jerk.

In some cases, to feed them is a major problem, purely to introduce food into a mouth that won't be in the same place from one second to the next, not to mention the body.

If a home uses a lap belt for the period of the meal, to enable the food to be administered, then that is defined as abuse.

At Jan's home I know of patients [generally on respite] who spontaneously attack staff. The staff have to take it, and not respond automatically, for even to restrain such an attack can be considered abuse.

3. Fozz

Fozz Registered User

Mar 9, 2004
    Ipswich
    this is the first time I have posted a message , it is such a relief to read accounts of other people who are dealing with the awful problems dementia causes. My father has vascular dementia and is rapidly getting to the point where the family is considering permanent care. My stepmum is nearly blind and finding it very hard to cope, but at the same time is scared to be on her own. Mystepsister and I are going to have to find a home that we think will give Dad the care he needs, but I have read so many awful stories in the press about these homes, and although Dad is very confused , the one thing he does know is that he hates the very idea of going into care.
    I did look after him at home for 3 months while my stepmum was ill, and I know that I could never look after him myself all the time for many reasons. This still makes me feel guilty!
    Must stop now , best wishes to all of you

Fozz

4. Geraldine

Geraldine Registered User

Oct 17, 2003
    Nottingham
    Thanks for the replies and reassurance.

I have since spoken to the Company regional Director. Apparantly the story related to an incident at a neighboring home in October! All dealt with now, it would have helped if the news report had made this clear - to easy I suppose. Ho hum!

Geraldine