Care Homes

Linda

Feb 22, 2004
Newcastle
I am a residential care home manager i look after 23 residents 6 who have dementia. i was so sad to read how some of you feel about people like myself. I am aware that not all care homes work to a high standard, but most of us do. I am not saying we are perfect but we really try to support relatives as well as our residents to come to terms with their situation. I have a very good relationship with all my relatives. I make sure they are as involved as they want to be.

if i can be of any assistance to anyone out there i would be happy to do so. I was also a carer for my husband for 15 years he died on October 2003. i have used respite for him and have been very dissatisfied. It is very hard to hand over your loved one to someone else to look after when you can no longer cope on your own. I no how hard that is.

kareng

Feb 5, 2004
Bristol
Hi Linda, it will be good to have your point of view on things, particularly as you have such a wide range of experience! Thanks for posting.

Maybe you have some advice for relatives on how to relate to managers of care homes where our loved ones are - positive ways of making suggestions for change or how we can contribute and help in other ways perhaps? I'd also be interested to hear if you consider there to be a problem at the moment in terms of a shortage residential and other EMI care generally and if so, whether and how you can see improvements in provision being made?

karen

Jennie Leech

Feb 3, 2004
Suffolk
Hi Linda
The worst prob I have encountered with staff of Care Homes is lack of communication.
There seem to be so many different people caring for my husband that messages do not get passed on from me to them or from them to me.
Your solution?
Jennie

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Linda
I think that people simply vary from place to place, and from situation to situation. People who are patients, people who are relatives and carers, and people who are professional carers - whether managing and/or doing.

I have nothing but praise for the team who run the home where my wife is, and they have 20 dementia residents plus 4 dementia respite people to care for.

The problem can be that the home is stuck in the middle, between the patient and their relatives, and the funding authorities, social Services etc. The balance will vary from place to place, but I have found it is most often the home and me versus the Social Services etc. I have even found myself having to give a shoulder to cry on to the home manager, which was rather unexpected.

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
Hi Linda

just to say that it was meeting the Manager at Mum's care home that made us think it was the right place for her. We were fortunate to have a choice of 3 places but the Manager at her home seemed so commited and interested in Mum as well as our family he really put my mind at rest. His team of care workers are brilliant they have 40 residents in various stages of Dementia some with challenging behaviour and they do a brillaint job. We are always welcome even when we turn up 'mob handed' with relatives there is always tea and biscuits servied with a smile. I can always ask questions about Mum and they always phone me if there is changes in her regime. Take heart there are some good places and managers out there

Geraldine

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Sounds like Geraldine has the same sort of home I have for Jan. I have been there all times of day and night and there is no time when I can't just turn up.

I have asked them to call me any time day or night should they need to let me know something important, or to ask me something about Jan, and this has worked well.

What a shame there isn't a Michelin ranking for care homes. Maybe the families are the best ones to create such a thing.

Linda

Feb 22, 2004
Newcastle
Hi Kareng & Jennie
i am sorry i didn't get back sooner but i a new to the internet and quite frankly i am not very good. it has taken me 35 minutes to get this far. i hope i am able to reach you.

In answer to your question as to how you can communicate more effectively with the manager and the care staff in your homes. i suggest that you ask the manager's if they would be interested in setting up a residents and relatives gourp in the home. i have organised the Princess Royal Trust for Carers to facilitate these meetings in my home and they work very well. They meet once a month to discuss varies topic's which is then typed up by the Carer Centre and given to me to reply to at there next meeting. It gives not only the residents a mutual platform to air concerns and bring forward suggestions, but it also helps relatives to meet with other people in the same position as themselves and have one voice. i think you would find this would help your problems. In answer to your question Kareng regarding a shortage of beds for Residential EMI Clients i am not able to answer that, however, i can tell you I avarage around 3 enquiries a week. If you are concerned about this subject you should speak to Social Services or the Care Standards Commission they are in a better position to answer you.

Hope this is of help to you
god bless
Linda

Last edited:

Linda

Feb 22, 2004
Newcastle
Kareng

I have residents and relative meetings once a month. this is facilitated by the Princes Royal Trust for Carers

John Aidiniantz

Feb 27, 2004
Central London
Originally posted by Linda
Hi Kareng & Jennie
i am sorry i didn't get back sooner but i a new to the internet and quite frankly i am not very good. it has taken me 35 minutes to get this far. i hope i am able to reach you.

Hello - I don't know if this will help you and other members of this forum, but I have posted a FAQ page at www.homepage-link.to/alzheimers

Anyone can enter a question or topic and provide a reply without having to log in and with no special internet skills.

If a FAQ seems a useful idea, then maybe the Alzheimers organisation can develop it.

kate34

Sep 23, 2003
care home

My Dad is in an excellent EMI nursing home; it is privately run and the staff are excellent. We have heard a lot of horror stories mainly thanks to the media, but thankfully Dad's home is fabulos, the staff are really caring and seem to have a good insight in how to manage and relate to the people in their care. I personally couldnt do the job myself, and i salute those who dedicate their careers to it. We kept Dad at home as long as possible until we could do it no longer and I know he is being well looked after. Keep up the good work those of you who do a great service and lets hope that those rotten apples that give other great care homes a bad name will be no longer practicing in future.
Regards
kate