Care Homes London

JayneB6367

Dec 18, 2013
Hi all,

Mum is in a CH 2 hours away from my sister and I and we are thinking of bringing her closer to us so we can visit more than once a week.

Problem I have is there are so many in London and I don't know where to start.

Ideally north or south London as we are opposite ends of the northern line.

Can anyone recommend any? Mum is self funding and currently we pay c.£5000 a month.

Thank you

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm afraid we cannot give specific recommendations on the open board. London is a very big city, so the only thing you can do is Google areas, get lists of care homes, read the CQC reports then go and visit the short list.

Here's a factsheet about selecting a care home: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=150

A tip is not taking too much notice of the decor. The quantity and quality of staff is much more important. If you have access to local carer cafes, ask other carers there for recommendations.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
£5k a month:eek: That's all I have to say other than I would have thought there was a world of choice in that price range, but obviously places can only be mentioned in a private message due to the site rules for obvious reasons.
As other have said check the CQC report on the place but also do a not planned visit and see what it's like when you just turn up.
K

JayneB6367

Dec 18, 2013
Thanks all. I understand why people cant recommend and will look at all the sources suggested.

JayneB6367

Dec 18, 2013
£5k a month:eek: That's all I have to say other than I would have thought there was a world of choice in that price range, but obviously places can only be mentioned in a private message due to the site rules for obvious reasons.
As other have said check the CQC report on the place but also do a not planned visit and see what it's like when you just turn up.
K

Does £5k seem a lot to you? In the South East it seems most places are c.£1000 a week. Criminal really, Mum and Dads savings gone on this without any help after all the years they worked so hard.

That though is another discussion and something I know vexes most of us on here.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I also think that £5K per month for general Residential care is appalling....I (Mum) was paying approx half that for very good care. I do hope that your Mum is claiming Attendance Allowance. I note that she is in care now, does she have a Social Worker to advise you?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti