Care homes in the South East - any recommendations?

4boding

Apr 18, 2014
Dear Friends,

Once again, I gear myself up to research possible care homes; once again I think it's the right time, it's all too much, etc.

Has anyone experienced or heard about any residential care homes in the south east which were very good - flexible, caring, friendly, maybe not tooo expensive :eek:

If so, please drop any names, so long as it's an honest recommendation.

Thanks and take care,

Phil

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
People can send you PMs, but it's against the terms and conditions to make recommendations on the open forum. Sorry.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
What appeals to one person may not appeal to another, so it's really best do do your own research. Once you have visited a few, you will get to know which seems suitable for your relative and which doesn't.
Your local authority should have a book of care and nursing homes within the area. This will give information about whether they accept residents with various conditions, including dementia. This is available to those self-funding as well as those whose fees will be supplemented but the LA.
For cost, you will probably have to contact the home directly. Our authority's book, doesn't quote these.

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Hello Phil,
When I was looking for care homes that were 330 miles away from me (so unable to pop in) I started by using the web site below.

I ticked the Dementia box to make sure I was only looking at homes that could take dementia sufferers & put Mum & Dad's post code in the search box.

When I drilled down on each home, some of them gave price ranges like £350 - £650 - so not really much help, but most did not.

However, it did give me a starting point and details of numbers of rooms; facilities, contact details etc.

I hope it helps as a starting point...

http://www.carehome.co.uk/care_search.cfm

regards, Elizabeth

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Phil

Having recently placed my mum, the only comment I would make is, don't look for perfection. I had a checklist in my mind of what I wanted for mum, but made it a short one eg own room, activities most days, good food, clean, friendly, accessible to visitors. Then I looked at the most local ones and ruled out a couple that failed the criteria. Our choice was then effectively made for us by availability of a room in one of the acceptable homes.

I've found it's as important after placement, to spend some time at the home, help mum feel comfortable and establish good relationships with the staff. Keep the lines of communication open. And we've been lucky.....the staff are really friendly and seem genuinely to care :)

Good luck, it's a hard path to tread for you, but worth it if you find the right place.

Lindy xx

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I tried to send you a PM, but for some reason you cannot receive them. We are not allowed to name care homes on the main forum.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Hello Phil,
When I was looking for care homes that were 330 miles away from me (so unable to pop in) I started by using the web site below.

I ticked the Dementia box to make sure I was only looking at homes that could take dementia sufferers & put Mum & Dad's post code in the search box.

When I drilled down on each home, some of them gave price ranges like £350 - £650 - so not really much help, but most did not.

However, it did give me a starting point and details of numbers of rooms; facilities, contact details etc.

regards, Elizabeth

Just to add, I emailed all the homes on my 'long list' with a brief description of my mum's condition and a list of factual questions (staff ratios, numbers of residents, activity programmes) including a request for a copy of the contract and service user agreement or other documentation. As mum was self-funding I also asked for details of fees. That enabled me to eliminate a few eg those which couldn't have mum because of her mobility problems and those which didn't bother to reply which I felt showed a poor attitude from the outset.

I think this helped me to avoid wasting either my time or the managers' visiting totally unsuitable homes and when I did visit the homes on the shortlist I could concentrate on things like the atmosphere/attitudes of staff which you can't pick up on from a brochure.

4boding

Apr 18, 2014
Hello Phil,

regards, Elizabeth

Thanks. Appreciated :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindsay A