Care Homes in Essex/London???

Michelle-A

Feb 5, 2005
Essex
Hi, I haven't been on this site for a very long time as so much has been happening this year. My mum is in a nursing home in Manchester (her family live there) However, my sister and I desperately miss our mum so much with her being so far from us.
She's been really sick this year and is in the later stages of the illness, and to be honest, we don't know how much time our mum has left. We are exhausted with travelling so far to see our mum and hate the fact we can't keep a closer eye on things.
We were told there were no other homes near to us and that Manchester was the only option. Well, I can't believe that's true!!! I really need my mum close to me as I miss her so much. Does anyone know of any care/nursing homes in my area that would possibly accept my mum. We were originally told no-one would accept her cos of her age (54) I'm exhausted with battling and searching, but there has to be some thing else out there so she can be closer to her two daughters????

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Michelle,

The best way to search for a care home is to use the web site of the Commision for Social Care Inspection - they license and inspect care homes in England. If you use their advance search page:

http://www.csci.org.uk/registeredservicesdirectory/RSSearchCategories.asp?Action=SearchCats&Type=CRH

you can specify whether or not you are looking for care with nursing or just care and then select type of care = dementia and then specify a location - the post code option is the best as it crosses county boundries.

Once you have the results you will have to look at each home's details as the age limitations are only stated there. Some homes will be licensed for dementia over 65 and some will just have dementia with no age restriction stated. You can then go on and read the inpspection reports online (you can also read the inspection reports for your mum's current home).

I would be surprised if the home that your mum is in is the only one in England that could accommodate her. However, it might have been that if a place was needed at short notice, that was the only one with a vacancy in an area where some family was available.

My father-in-law lives in Essex (he is over 65) and all of the very good homes that we looked at (he is still at home being cared for by my mother-in-law) had some type of waiting list.

I wish you luck in this difficult time. I can only imagine how complex an operation it would be to convince the various medical/social work personnel involved that moving your mother is possible/advisable.

Take care,

Sandy

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Hi Michelle,

My Dad (83) is in a very good Home in Essex. It is really several different homes all on the same site, catering for different needs. We visited the two 'houses' that were appropriate to my Dad and we favoured one over the other (which I'm sure is just as good) and Dad was put on the waiting list. It wasn't long before a vacancy arose and we were pleased to find it was in the first.

Although the inspection reports are naturally very important, I personally think it's the staff, particularly the person in charge where the caring actually takes place (i.e. Head Nurse as opposed to Manager), that makes all the difference.

Good luck in your search and, as Sandy says, in persuading the various agencies involved to conduct the move.

Best wishes,

faye

Dec 6, 2006
Essex, UK
Home in Essex

Hi there,

Im not sure how far you have got with your search, but have you looked into Longmead Court Nursing Home (EMI) its in Braintree, Essex (which is very close to Stanstead Airport), we have just opened a new extention and have lowered the age band to residents from 45 years.

Please let me know if you would like any information, I would be happy to help!!

Good Luck with the search!

XX

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I went round several homes in Essex and London when I was looking for one for my mother.

The best one near me was Mornington Hall. Well, I only saw it once, because of course they wanted to see her, and we couldn't get her to go and look at it.

Lila