Care Homes (dual purpose)

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Charlie, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Charlie

    Charlie Registered User

    Apr 1, 2003
    Hi All,

    I wondered if anyone has experience with dual purpose care homes. We have just started looking at the possibility of finding care for both my dad (who has alzheimers) and my mum. My mother is finding it increasing difficult to care for dad and has her own health problems (breathing difficulties).

    Ulitimately, we just want to keep mum and dad together for as long as possible with extended support at home, but in the long term it now seems inevitable that dad, and mum, will need more specialised care and attention.

    If this is the case, mum and dad would prefer to be in a home prepared to cater for both their needs.

    My question is, do these kind of care homes exist and does anyone have any experience with such facilities.

    It's just so hard to find out this kind of information.

  2. John Bottomley

    John Bottomley Registered User

    Apr 7, 2004
    Some are dual registered, for EMI Residential and EMI Nursing, or regular Residential and EMI Residential, so couples can be together (and if needs increase then they can still be accomodated within the same home).

    Success is mixed.

    Firstly, the number of dual registered homes, of the quality and 'feel' you'd want for your family, are few (well, they are in our neck of the woods).

    Secondly, if they're any good, there's often a waiting list.

    Still, given that it's a great option if it's available and it works, may well be worth sleuthing out!
  3. Jude

    Jude Registered User

    Dear Charlie,

    You need to start researching this as soon as you can. I don't know where you are in the UK, but down south in Surrey/Sussex I had absolutely no luck in finding any accommodation where I could keep my parents together.

    Your local authority should provide a website of all registered care homes in your local area. If you find somwhere suitable, then you need to get on to their waiting list asap.

    I really hope that you can find something suitable for them both.

    Best wishes,

  4. Kriss

    Kriss Registered User

    May 20, 2004
    Don't know whereabouts you are and we seemed to stumble upon the "Residential Home" where Aunt now resides, but even though its called a Residential home it is "secure" - locked gates, keypad exits etc and I have seen residents confined to bed and presumably the care they receive is "nursing". There are also at least 2 more residents displaying very clear indications of dementia, particularly the "I'm going home" variety complete with hats and coats (even in the recent hot weather!)

    We were worried that we would have to find EMI care, and had been warned it might be pretty dismal, when she was released from hospital as she was wandering the corridors day and night but her specialist reassured us that he thought she would settle in the right place and this one was one he suggested. Touching wood - he was right!

    I imagine that every area is different but perhaps if you ask the doctor for suggestions it will give you a start.

    Good Luck

  5. AngelaH

    AngelaH Registered User

    Jul 31, 2004
    finding a care home

    You can use the CSCI website ( to find residential homes in your area and to read the latest inspection reports on them; the reports also have information about fees, staffing, accommodation, etc. I think you should look for homes which take residents with dementia though maybe an EMI unit isn't needed for your father yet. You will still have to visit them and no doubt get on a waiting list, because double rooms are probably rare. Prepare a list of questions that you want to ask before you visit, make sure you make notes afterwards before you forget! and be ready for lots of depressing visits before you find the one you want. And good luck!!
  6. Charlie

    Charlie Registered User

    Apr 1, 2003
    Firstly a big thanks for everyone's replies!

    I checked out a few websites including but couldn't find anything about dual purpose care homes. So I picked up the phone and made a few calls.

    The most helpful advice came from the Elderly Accommodation Council (contact details at end of message). They say that Dual Purpose 'Registered' Homes no longer exist (since 2002 apparently). In other word the government no longer recognises such homes. We may find one if we hunt around, but it's not going to be easy. However, they gave me a lot of information about the kind of care that mum and dad are entitled to and how we can continue the support at home. They also send out lists of care homes in an area.

    I now have a new list of questions for the social worker who assessed mum and dad just to make sure that she is aware that they BOTH need help to continue living at home. I'm sure my mum has already done this but it obviously going to take some nagging.

    The problem with sheltered accommodation is that this may involve two difficult moves for them both, so I've pretty well eliminated this option for now.

    So for now, I'm going to fight to keep them both at home and just get as much home help as we can. I must admit, it's been a real eye opener for me the last few months as I just assumed that it would be a little easier to gather this kind of information.

    Just for future reference the contact details for the Elderly Accommodation Council:

    Tel: 0207 820 1343

    thanks again
  7. Jude

    Jude Registered User

    Dear Charlie,

    I started a lengthy reply to you and my computer went down due to a power surge. Will reply tomorrow in detail. You and I seem to be travelling a similar path.

  8. Norman

    Norman Registered User

    Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    I intend to keep my wife at home,I do not need or want sheltered accomodation.
    Keep us posted on your progress Charlie
  9. John Bottomley

    John Bottomley Registered User

    Apr 7, 2004
    Types of homes

    Charlie, although "dual registration" as a specific thing isn't used now, my understanding was that's because there's a lot more than just 2 types of registration. So, the notion of having single or dual registration was not helpful, when homes can potentially be registered for more than just 2 types of care. In practice, though, there are now potentially more registartions, so although a place won't be "dual registered" it can be registered for two types of care. Hence, dual registration as a specific thing isn't around, but as a concept it's still common (if not more so).

    In our neck of the woods, homes are listed such as :
    This home has 36 places (split as 24 for elderly, 12 for dementia) so serves dual purposes . . . and this kind of placement in your neighbourhood may well be just the kind of home that you'd be after.
  10. Charlie

    Charlie Registered User

    Apr 1, 2003

    Thanks for that! This is something I was unaware of and will be a great help when I'm indentifying the right type of homes (before getting in contact).

    I'll be looking in Bournemouth and then London.

    Thanks again
  11. Chris

    Chris Registered User

    May 20, 2003
    Latest trend in care homes

    In our area there seems to be a sudden awareness amongst care home providers that there is a market for specialised residential dementia care provision. 'Dementia Units' are springing up - existing care homes (residential or nursing) are building extensions or new units or renovating - for sole use of people who have dementia. Some have taken advice from Dementia Voice (the South Wests DSDC - Dementia Services Development Centres) on building and interior design.

    One Care Village has , on one gated site - sheltered accommodation, a pub, a Care Home with Nursing care on first floor and Dementia Unit on ground floor (locked doors but free access to a large garden with level paths and raised beds that are planted and tended totally by residents - enabed by a team (therapeutic horticulturalist + 2 voluteers) from a local Therapeutic Horticulture service. Guess what - its not cheap - the care home that is !!

    So.. it is increasingly common to fnd both general care and dementia care on one site.

    There are also some units providing the old style EMI care ie they have residnets with dementia along with older people who have all sorts of mental health needs or 'Mental Disorder' as it is called now. (by the way the term EMI isnt really meaningful anymore & several years ago was abandoned by the Registration & Inspectorate - the Alzheimer's Society does not use it either) .

    When someone becomes immobile & sat in chair or in bed all day they sometimes get moved (usually up) to the nursing care unit - their dementia takes second place to their physical health needs - one hopes the staff there do have knowledge of demenita but I've not seen so much stimulation happening then - the staff seem 100% tied up with physical care & "they cant do anything anyway".

    What a long way we have to go - still.
  12. janey

    janey Registered User

    Jun 29, 2004
    when looking for homes on the CSCI website I've come accross this type of description. Initially I assumed that all homes using this description would be able to look after Mum, but when I visited or rang them, they mostly asked 'does she wander?' It seems that many homes that state thay care for dementia patients cannot in fact care for Mum because she 'wanders' and they are not allowed to lock their doors. This unfortunately includes the cleanest and most comfortable ones we saw. It seems that if someone 'wanders', there are only a few homes that are willing to take them - those that have locked doors - which coincidentally (?) are the least clean and least comfortable ones. Please can you or anyone else help - its all extremely confusing, and I'm beginning to despair of finding a home where Mum would have a pleasant and clean environment, surely the right of everyone?! Thanks,
  13. Charlie

    Charlie Registered User

    Apr 1, 2003
    Just a quick update.

    I received 'personalised' reports from the Elderly Accommodation Council (EAC) today. A Housing Options Report (Sheltered Accommodation) and Care Options Report (specialised care homes). These reports are very detailed and provide specific information on how the homes operate, the care they cater for, lifestyles and costs.

    The information on Care Specialisms is really helpful (e.g. Care for people who Wander Indoors, Wander outside etc, etc).

    10/10 for the EAC!!!!!


Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.