Care Homes Bournemouth (please reply via private message feature)

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi All

Does anyone on TP have any recommendations or positive experiences with Residential or Dual Care Homes in the Bournemouth area. We are desperately seeking respite care and long term care (in the future) and finding it a bit of struggle. If so, please would you let me know only by the <B>Private Message facility?</B> as I appreciate that this information can be a little subjective for posting on the main forum.

Details of good experiences would be most welcome.

Thanks
Charlie

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Charlie,

Have you checked the list of Care Homes in the Bournemouth area on the web yet? Once you have a list, then perhaps you could start to check some of them out and speak to the relatives of the residents to get their views.

Jude

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sorry Charlie, recognise where you are coming from but can only endorse Jude's comments. Nice, though, to see a posting from you, regards, Connie

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi Jude,

I'm working through a long list provided by Elderly Accommodation Council (very helpful charity by the way) and a list provided by the social services.

Also just found this on the web:
http://www.ucarewecare.com/dorset/bournemouth-care-homes.php

So thank you for the tip. Nearly all have long waiting list and there is an incredible variation in quality and attitude. Many will not take dad as they do not provide secure units. That really surprised me as I'd assumed all homes that provide care for people with alzheimers would be secure. I get comments like "no we couldn't manage that kind of risk". One home even asked if dad was a freemason - that surprised me even more!

Again, anyone who has any personal recommendations, please contact me by Private Message. Thanks.

thanks for the help
Charlie.....

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi Charlie,

It's a long slog checking up on all these NH's isn't it, but I'm sure you will find one that fits the bill. Just eliminate all the ones that aren't EMI Homes and that should narrow the search down a bit. Weird the things that they ask!

I had a look at the website you mentioned and the NH that my parents are in is included on the Sussex list.

Good luck with the search.........

Jude

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Charlie, do get in touch with the local Alzheimers group, they will be able to give you a short list of good ones their members have personal knowledge of. Also get in touch with the local Carer's group, contact can be made initially through The Carer's Association on the net. Both have helped me a lot. Apart from that, it's a case of trawling on either the net or in local phone book then going to check them out. Always try if you can, to just turn up on speck without an appointment, you learn more that way and can always call back formally later if you like what you see etc. Have a good old nose round and "smell", a good home does not constantly smell of folk needing a change if you know what I mean! Also check the menu, outings, staff levels and what is covered or not covered in the per week price. Good luck, happy hunting! Love She. XX

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976