Care Homes Allowing Visitors

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
She has ( and has had,, right through this pandemic) 4 care visits a day, double handed. Up close and personal as she can no longer weight bear.
Are all these carers vaccinated? i doubt it, different ones every day.
Health care workers (including carers) had priority in group 2. OHs podiatrist who visits him at home had his vaccination a month ago, as had my Home Help and all of his carers have had their vaccine - I contacted the office to find out. Obviously they wouldnt tell me about all the rest, but reassured me that carers who came to him were indeed vaccinated. I know that all the carers are on zero hours contracts and I gather from talking to some of OHs carers that anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated is likely to find that they are not called in very often.....

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Health care workers (including carers) had priority in group 2. OHs podiatrist who visits him at home had his vaccination a month ago, as had my Home Help and all of his carers have had their vaccine - I contacted the office to find out. Obviously they wouldnt tell me about all the rest, but reassured me that carers who came to him were indeed vaccinated. I know that all the carers are on zero hours contracts and I gather from talking to some of OHs carers that anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated is likely to find that they are not called in very often.....
Reassuring I guess.Just hope they have

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
There is going to be an issue for me over this " one visitor" guidance. What if the " one person" needs a carer to accompany him? There are probably going to be stipulations about the visitor wearing PPE and it it hard to get a PWD to wear PPE properly, stick to strict rules, etc. I am expecting a difficult dilemma. Should the visitor be the son ( me) who could dress in PPE and follow the rules, or the husband of 65 years who can't remember the rules? I would rather my dad had the opportunity as I can do video chat, which he can't, but this isn't going to be easy.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
There is going to be an issue for me over this " one visitor" guidance. What if the " one person" needs a carer to accompany him?
Best to wait to see what the actual guidance states when it is issued, but as per the government press release "There will be discretion for care homes to allow more than one named visitor in exceptional circumstances"

JudyS

Feb 6, 2021
For the past year my daughter and I have shared caring for my mother who is 94. She has been in a care home for the past five weeks - currently respite but that may well change to permanent. My daughter and I have both been shielding and are in a "bubble" (including Mum before her admission). I know that her care home are planning to start visiting as soon as possible and I am hoping that we will both be allowed to visit alternately - we are both vaccinated and are still shielding and Mum is also vaccoinated. What do people think??

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @JudyS There seems to have been quite a lot of inconsistently in relation to what individual homes will or won't allow but as mentioned above, it does seem that the new guidance will allow care homes some discretion so worth asking your mother's home to see what they say. Fingers crossed that you get a positive response.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
That's a tricky one @MartinWL , perhaps speak to the manager and appeal to his/her common sense that your dad would need a carer (you) with him so he can comply. Then see how it goes, at least your dad would have been given the opportunity to see how he finds the restrictions. Would he be ok being tested?
I would hope @JudyS that the home would allow you as you are the same "bubble" . I really can't understand why you can't both visit at the same time, but it will all depend on the manager/ head office so as @Louise7 suggests it is worth asking your mum's home , explaining your situation and if they say "no" I would ask for their reason.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My mums care home would not even allow me and my sister ( in my bubble) to visit mum together in a pod, totally sealed from mum. My sister told them that we were now living together so that we can visit together!