Care home

Mary's

Jan 17, 2016
A man has moved into the adjacent room to my loved one a couple of weeks ago. The other morning he was found lying in beside her, on top of her bed. She is very fragile and has been bedridden for more than a year. He managed to get over the bed rails and lie beside her. I am so worried that she could easily have been smothered. The action plan is to put him on 15 minute observations, but it would take less time than this to seriously hurt her. What can I do?

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Can the care home not put an alarm mat in your loved ones room to warn of someone going in? That would be much more sensible. Or can they not lock the door to keep her safe?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Poor you. They need to have him on 1:1 supervision and I agree if she is bedridden they need to lock her door and put her on 15 or 30 minute observations. She would be much safer with the door locked than without unless she likes the door open to see people.
The alternative and it may be preferable would be to move her room some distance from him as proximity is the issue.
She must have been terrified.
There are several options but putting him on 15 minute observations is not good enough and it will never happen during the night anyway.

Good luck, i would think through your options and put it in writing asap.

loux

Account Closed
Jan 18, 2016
sensor needed asap

you need a room sensor asap connecting to main call system it may be better to put it in the mans room so others are at less risk too

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Would it upset or bother her if her own door were locked, so that only the carers could get in?
Because from a practical POV in the average care home I think that otherwise it would probably be virtually impossible to make sure the man did not do it again. I know that at my mother's CH some residents did wander in and out of each others' rooms a lot. Without locking all the bedroom doors there was no feasible way to prevent it, but it didn't seem to be a problem, or at least I never heard of any beyond the 'helping themselves' which is always going to happen in a dementia unit.

I do hope you are able to find a satisfactory solution.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger