Care home

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi all, hopefully some advice/suggestions. Dad has been in his care home for the past 18 months, his behaviour is very challenging. The staff have always been wonderful and have helped Dad. Most patients in the home have challenging behaviour. The home is not posh but the staff, food, care make up for this.. However a recent CQC report has found them inadequate is every single area!! I did feel that a lot of the comments in the report were very unfair and not justified. A lot of the staff have worked there for over 15 years. I cannot fault their care. However a lot of the staff are now leaving and my favourite nurse, who bends over backwards to help all her patients is now also leaving. I am so sad and worried for Dad. Dad receives CHC for his challenging behaviour. If he does have to move it would be a nightmare, his behaviour would deteriorate and I am worried that no other home would take him. I have spoken to the Manager, who has changed 3 times in the last 3 months, she says they have put measures in place to prevent closure. I feel so sick with worry there are too many agency staff and also the potential to close. Anybody been in this situation? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
It takes an awful lot of time with the CQC working with the managers and owners of a care home before an order to close comes into play. There is no abuse or safeguarding issues at the home I presume which would bring on immediate closure? A report which states inadequate does not mean that the home will be closed but that issues which the CQC have identified as inadequate must be put right

The CQC would issue the manager and owners with a list of the areas of concerns and demand a date when the issues they have raised as inadequate must be put right. The CQC would also demand a plan of action from the care home as to how these isuues would be corrected and would revist the care home several times to check on the progress the manager and owners are making in putting the inadequacies in order.

So don't worry too much about the home closing at the moment. The change of manager may be just the impetus to put the home back on the road to recovery. Some staff are probably leaving because new procedures are having to be put in place and this has unsettled them especially iof they have worked in the same way for many years and now have to bring procedures up to present standards.

It may be that at the end of the changes which have to be made, your dad will still be in the home, getting good care and the new methods will be a benefit to his care.

xxTinaT

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I agree with Tina
Try not to worry too much. Inadequate means that they have to change some things very quickly to demonstrate that they are willing to put things right and then they have time to sort out the less urgent matters. The CQC work with them to put things right and they will have an action plan they are working to.
In real terms this won't affect your Dad and will begin to improve the things that are not right.
Closure is way way down the list - they don't want to close care homes and will only do it when there really isn't an alternative

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for your comments Tina and fizzie, they have helped to reassure me. I suppose the real issue is the amount of agency staff, I do not know them. It feels a bit scary leaving your loved one. I live over an hour away so am only able to visit twice a week, I ring every other day though. There have been some safeguarding, including dad, however after numerous chats with the safeguarding teams I believe this had been cleared. Nothing to do with the staff, dad was pushed over by another patient. I know CQC have a job to do. One of the comments on the report was some rooms were very basic and not welcoming. This hurt a lot as we had spent time getting his room ready new bedding, curtains, tv, pictures of Mum and family, pictures of his beloved dogs, lovely books. He has just thrashed/smashed/ripped everything and I mean everything. He will urinate in his wardrobe, no bin cause he will urinate in there, then put his clothes in. His clothes are always in the wash. His room is basic because it has to be! Hence I was rather hurt by the comments. If I thought Dad was not being cared for I would definitely step in and would not allow it. It is just so worrying. When you see your loved one go from enjoying retirement, very capable,lovely house and garden, to how he is now with the sudden onset of this awful Lewy Bodies. If he could see how he lives he would be mortified. I was very new to dementia 18 months ago but the sudden change in his behaviour has been toe curling to say the least. Hopefully fingers crossed the home will come through, like you say with better practices which will benefit the patients. I will keep you posted. X