Care home

Precioustime

Jun 29, 2022
HI ,
I am new on here and would like a bit of advice.
My uncle has recently being diagnosed with Dementia.
After being in and out of hospital and back at home with wrap around care, which didn't really work for a number of reasons. My aunt wanted him to go into a home.
The home initially gave me good first Impressions and possibly still do.
However, there has been two incidents where my uncle has been pushed and got a scratch on his nose and today he has been slapped in the face.
These incidents have happened whilst the head nurse was off duty and I just wondered if he had have been there would they have happened. We have been told straight away on both occasions.
My uncle is a wonderer and was the same at home.
He's also finding it hard to get use to the catherer, fitted back in April on his first hospital admission.
The nurse is trying to get to him a 1/1. The home is out of area so we have had to get the new areas multidisciplinary teams involved.
It's been tough as his first discharged was a failed one. We were only given a discharged and nothing else. (Apart from the local authority care) No social worker etc..
My question is I guess how do we approach the home regarding the above incidents.
Regards
Ann

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Just speak to them. First, did they really happen and if so, was it done by a fellow guest and does that person have a history of violence?

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I think the fact that the home has notified you of the incidents is a positive thing - they are not trying to hide anything. Mum's nursing home is the same, Mum has had bruises on her arms - she gets aggressive and the carers try to calm her to stop her hurting herself further. We also found out that during covid when she was in the lounge she would be verbally abusive/aggressive to other residents so much so I asked the home to keep her out of the lounge for her safety as well as other residents. You say your uncle is a wanderer, it may be possible that he has wandered into someone else's room and they have taken exception to it (my mum would), however the home should be aware of this.
I would definitely be speaking to the home about your concerns and see what they say/what their protocol is regarding such incidents. Sorry have no advice re the catheter, I only know that my mum won't tolerate a plaster on her hand - she doesn't understand what it is for.
Hope you can get things sorted for your peace of mind

Precioustime

Jun 29, 2022
Thank you both. Yes I should have said he had gone into another room.
A lot of it is that he is looking for a taxi home or my aunt.
The incidents so dar seem to happen early to late evening. He also doesn't settle very well at night and barely sleeps sometimes.
Unfortunately the home has been in lockdown these last couple of weeks. So we haven't been able to see him either. But the nurse was able to let him have a little chat with my daughter yesterday.
The nurse wanted to hive him a smaller catherer to see if that could help. But
So much red tape. I hoping now that I managed to sign completed paperwork and assessments today things may get a little easy.
We will talk to care home tomorrow.
Thanks
Ann

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet