Care home.

Lancashirelady

Oct 7, 2014
Mum is obviously very lucky. She's in a CH in West Yorkshire, self funding but the home charges no top up fees - so £470 per week with. The home is homely - slightly old fashioned with no snazzy décor to impress relatives but the residents all seem quite happy with their surroundings. I think sometimes homes take advantage - tarting the place up in order to charge extortionate rates.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Mum is obviously very lucky. She's in a CH in West Yorkshire, self funding but the home charges no top up fees - so £470 per week with. The home is homely - slightly old fashioned with no snazzy décor to impress relatives but the residents all seem quite happy with their surroundings. I think sometimes homes take advantage - tarting the place up in order to charge extortionate rates.

My dad is living in a similar sounding care home - small with very homely furnishings. It costs £750/wk, which is good for the area and the care has been excellent. There's a care home near me that is more like a 'village', and would be better for me in terms of convenience, but costs are well over £1000/wk... it is a much more modern facility, built more like a hotel (to my mind), with gym and computer room... but does dad really need that?! He's happy where he is (well, as happy as he'll ever be!).

Therein lies the nub. When our time comes, because few people will 'inherit' wealth from their parents, because it went in NH fees,there simply won't be enough self-funders to keep the Homes going.

This is something that worries me, if I'm lucky enough to live to my dad's age. I have no problem with dad's money being used to look after dad, but in the end the money seems to be flowing in one direction and it'll cause an even bigger crisis in the not-too-distant future, surely?

SEASHELL

Account on hold
Sep 2, 2009
Care home fees in the UK are an absolute disgrace. You wouldn't pay these amounts in a 5 star hotel.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Care home

Mum is in a home in Northampton now cost £775 pw. basic care. We have been self funding for 12 months spending grand kids inheritance as my parents never set up trusts etc. We have enough funds left for 4 months. The £23500 she is allowed to keep is in a joint investment bond with her husband- cannot make partial withdrawals from it. I sent the application to the local council regarding financial support knowing her disposable money will run out end July. Today a letter from the council saying 'if we choose to go into a private care facility we will be fully self funding as she has too much money' they haven't read that she is already in a home and has been for a year,nor,despite sending them all paperwork requested regarding bank account,investments etc, taken on board that she can not withdraw the last of her money for the shared investment without it being closed down- the would disadvantage dad! At wits endQUOTE=JohnBG;1394660]After a challenging year my s/mother has gone into care for one week, I am disabled so my own functions are restricted plus limited. One care home wanted £890 a week !!!!!!!! an associate is a CQC assessor I had a chat with him very interesting.

My mother has declined now, loss of words who I am ect, the MH support worker has been excellent, that dementia has stopped her eating plus drinking adequately with some weight loss. I am more at ease with my POA role, in reality the best place for her is in care not a rambling house alone plus isolated. Alz is only part of who she is, sweet lady of 91 so take care all look after yourself she is peaceful most of the time and not in pain big ((hugs)).

John.[/QUOTE]

soo43

Sep 1, 2013
I am shocked...mom in care and its £470.... Thought that was expencive, her room is lovely, they take her out on day trips. Food and care excellent.

Hi,
Could you let me know which home this is please as I am currently looking for my mother and it is good to get such a positive recommendation.
Thank you
Soo43

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016

Exactly same as for my mom, same amount. No extras. Her new room just been decorated and is lovely.

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
Hi,
Could you let me know which home this is please as I am currently looking for my mother and it is good to get such a positive recommendation.
Thank you
Soo43

Name of care home removed.I warn you first impressions a little tired in main living area and hall.but after two months there, I'm quite happy with it so ismom. They cater for any mental health problem but most seem to have dementia and be old. The food is great and the carers are really lovely.moms room has been decorated with new carpet and pretty bedding and curtains.they seem to be replacing and decorating all the time. Mom moans they are constantly cleaning her room. Mom used to be so house proud but couldn't care less now. So as long as she's looked after we are all happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
My Mums care home now costs £648 a week from 1 April. Prior to that it was £600 and I think that's a BIG jump.

It is very clean and warm and I've never once had a whiff of a wee smell anywhere in the home. Most of the staff are lovely. She says there's just one grumpy one who works nights and she's very snappy when Mum buzzes to go to the toilet in the night but she's OK when she comes back first thing in the morning.

The only thing I don't like is I am forever having to remind them about little things and it makes me feel that I am forever complaining. The staff are OK when I tell them but say they will make a note of it. My Mum is supposed to have a banana with her porridge every morning (to keep her regular!) and very often they don't give her one. I have to keep reminding them! Sometimes her morning cuppa and porridge are cold and I keep telling them that too. I would hate that myself! They know that she has a healthy appetite for her age and they said they would up her portions after she mentioned to the CQC inspector that sometimes she could eat more, but often she says she's still hungry.

If they just got things right I wouldn't have to bother anybody but when Mum tells me I feel I have to say something and for what she's paying per week I don't think it's too much to ask.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Mum pays just over £800 a week for her room in a purpose-built dementia home. She was paying £700 a week at the respite non-dementia home. But I'm so happy that she's in a place with specially trained staff & which is designed on one level with three public rooms and lots of chairs in wide corridors for the residents to wander round. Mum had to be taken up and down in a lift at the other place & as she was a regular wanderer, she could easily have ended at the head of some stairs in the middle of the night.

The home is clean and bright with plenty of windows and hardly ever smells of wee - we all know that accidents happen sometimes. There are nearly 90 residents but they're organised into 'houses' of about 15 people so there's a definite family feel about each 'house'.

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
My mom.....

My lovely mom is having a really bad week. She suffers from a prolapse of the bladder. She's had a couple of operations but never listens when the doc tells her to rest for the healing to start. When my sister visited her in her ch the other day mom was in a right state, she told my sister everything was dropping out..they got a doc to see her virtually straight away. And have discovered she is right the bladder and bowel are falling down....all this is making moms dementia worse. She us megga stressed sYing she doesn't want docs looking at her again. My sister stayed with her for hours. Yesturday I went to see her. And she was in a fowel mood. Shouting shaking, the carers say they have never seen her like it before. She couldn't settle, we moved seats several times. She complained about everything, saying she hates the home, hates the carers and people in home. She didn't want me to stay with her. Started crying , I gave her a cuddle. And left her. Today my other sister went to see her and mom was chanting , and basically same if worse than yesturday. But the carers have said she is fine when we are not there. How would we know? Mom was shouting and telling the other people not to stare at her. My sister said the other lady was asleep and not looking at her. Mom just says we lye. She also said no one had visited her at all this week. No recognition of us visiting. I found yesturday with her so very upsetting. I'm really worried about her. I think she's too old for doc to do much about her prolapse. And it will get worse. I don't expect a reply but just wanted to say what's going on:(

soo43

Sep 1, 2013
Name of care home removed.I warn you first impressions a little tired in main living area and hall.but after two months there, I'm quite happy with it so ismom. They cater for any mental health problem but most seem to have dementia and be old. The food is great and the carers are really lovely.moms room has been decorated with new carpet and pretty bedding and curtains.they seem to be replacing and decorating all the time. Mom moans they are constantly cleaning her room. Mom used to be so house proud but couldn't care less now. So as long as she's looked after we are all happy.

Thank you for that information. It sounds good, as you say as long as your Mum is well looked after that is fantastic. Reference to care home removed

Looking at your last post, I am sorry that your mum is having a rough time at the moment, sending best wishes your way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Could members please note that it is against the Terms and Conditions of the site to name care homes on the open forum -

Section 2 - 2.3 The naming of health or care providers, legal services and/or their individual staff is prohibited, with the exception of posters who have sought prior permission to do so from Alzheimer’s Society. In all other circumstances, Alzheimer's Society aims to remove such references, but has no obligation to do so.

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=about_talking_point#faq_tandctalkingpoint

Last edited: