Care home wants NI number

Rosie2

May 17, 2008
Has anyone been required to give a care home a NI number and if so why would they need it.
I rang electoral register office today to change my husbands address and found that they already had him on their list. Electoral officers had been targeting care homes apparently.
I sorted things out with officer but care home said they needed his NI number anyway for their records.

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
They seem to be asking for NI number as part of the re-register on the electoral roll thing now. Confused me no end when they asked for mine on the form.

We'll not go into the fact that they then decided there was something wrong with my details even though I was already on the list at the same address and had been for the last 6 years :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rosie2

May 17, 2008
They seem to be asking for NI number as part of the re-register on the electoral roll thing now. Confused me no end when they asked for mine on the form.

We'll not go into the fact that they then decided there was something wrong with my details even though I was already on the list at the same address and had been for the last 6 years :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A new form arrived for my household today but did not request NI numbers.
Care home rang me for my husbands number and I told them that I had already sorted his registration. They rang me back a few minutes later and said they needed it for their own records. My question is for what purpose would the care home need it.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is your OH changing GP?

That wouldn't involve his NI number - that would be the NHS number.

Who uses your National Insurance number

These organisations need to know what your number is:

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
your employer
the Department for Work and Pensions (which includes Jobcentre Plus and the Pension, Disability and Carers Service), if you claim state benefits, or in Northern Ireland the Department for Social Development
your local council, if you claim Housing Benefit, or the Northern Ireland Housing Executive
Electoral Registration Officers (to check your identity when you register to vote)
the Student Loan Company, if you apply for a student loan
your Individual Savings Account (ISA) provider, if you open an ISA

To prevent identity fraud, keep your National Insurance number safe and don’t give it to anyone who doesn’t need it.

From https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/your-national-insurance-number

Rosie2

May 17, 2008
Is your OH changing GP?

No not at the moment. The care home has pushed for this but my husband's care home is within the same postcode area and a such can stay with same GP.
Now I'm thinking. Can they change GP's without my knowledge.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Until recently electoral roll registration allowed a 'head of household' to sign on behalf of all residents, the CH manager could do this, the law has been changed to individual registration and the concept of 'head of household' no longer exists.

If a person is individually registering at an address there are already registered at no additional proof of identity is required.

If the person is new to the address the electoral registration office can use the NINO as part of the identity check, they are other means but this is the first approach. The NINO is proving difficult as all the office can do is ask the DWP for confirmation and if somebody is named as William Joseph Smith on the NINO both Bill and William Smith will return 'no match'. Some ethnic names produce even bigger problems.

There is currently a mini-registration in progress in preparation for the general election, mini means the forms are sent out but there is no follow up.

Rosie2

May 17, 2008
Until recently electoral roll registration allowed a 'head of household' to sign on behalf of all residents, the CH manager could do this, the law has been changed to individual registration and the concept of 'head of household' no longer exists.

If a person is individually registering at an address there are already registered at no additional proof of identity is required.

If the person is new to the address the electoral registration office can use the NINO as part of the identity check, they are other means but this is the first approach. The NINO is proving difficult as all the office can do is ask the DWP for confirmation and if somebody is named as William Joseph Smith on the NINO both Bill and William Smith will return 'no match'. Some ethnic names produce even bigger problems.

There is currently a mini-registration in progress in preparation for the general election, mini means the forms are sent out but there is no follow up.

So could the electoral officers be targeting the care homes because of the general election or is this a regular practice.
I registered my husband at his new address with his voting documents sent to my address. I did need to supply his NINO.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The electoral office have a duty to attempt to register all permanent residents in the LA area, previously the CH manager just signed a single form containing all residents..

Last edited:

Anotherz

Sep 25, 2018
Well, it's been a long time since the OP's enquiry, but I may have the answer.

TV licencing used to require the NI number on the application form for a concessionary TV licence.

This is no longer the case (confirmed by TV licencing in an email earlier this month).

It is possible that some care homes are still using old electronic or paper forms, and may be unaware of the change.

NOTE: The concessionary licence is £7.50/year for people living in eligible accommodation (nursing, care homes; sheltered accommodation; see TV licencing's site for details).

NOTE: If you have been paying the full licence, being unaware of the concessionary scheme, approach TV licencing for a refund!