Care home visits

bensusu

Apr 15, 2020
Hi everyone..my mums care home have stopped visits, said our local council have advised this..I'm so upset, we only had half hour as it was...has anyone else had care home visits stopped x

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Yes, Mums home stopped all garden visits over two months ago when we went into local lockdown restrictions. I've only seen mum thre times since the end of March and can see no end of this.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi everyone..my mums care home have stopped visits, said our local council have advised this..I'm so upset, we only had half hour as it was...has anyone else had care home visits stopped x
Yes, the nursing home where I volunteer has had to stop visits, same reason. I am sorry, I know how much distress this causes, kindredx

Bevmall1

May 28, 2020
SADLY YES. Was only getting 30 mins once a week which I was alternating with my dad, to see mum, so basically seeing mum once every two weeks for 30 mins - this is after not missing a day for over 2 years. Utterly heartbreaking. Mum has declined cognitively so much and I feel so sorry for my parents who have been married for ever.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
11A7868B-7E70-4A7A-AA28-CA52FA86E058.jpeg

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
This is encouraging.! Giles Sheldrick of the Express has been a big supporter of this issue

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi @Bevmall1 , it seems even more heartbreaking when visits are denied for a spouse, I feel for you. I expect you've emailed your MP , Public Health Department etc, tho I know some aren't particularly helpful or supportive. We just need the Government to fund the testing of family members so we are as safe as the care staff to go into the homes. We don't need Helen Whately's pilot study (which is "aiming" to start early November) to tell us this. Interesting that Durham uni is starting to test students this week as a pilot project "Rapid tests could help get students home for Christmas". I'm not against this as if I had a family member at uni I would want them home, but taken into perspective, the students may not have possibly had a hug from a loved family member for 2 and a half months by Christmas, whilst residents definitely won't have had a hug for over 9 and a half months! I can see where government priority seems to be. It's just not right to forget residents, just because most are elderly , and not likely to vote in the next election.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
New lockdown guidance has made things harder for many. Indoor visits can no longer go ahead unless there is a floor to ceiling Perspex screen ( intercoms, so people can hear), just like being in prison! Most homes won't have this in place, so it's back to window and outdoor visits .... In November.... Very practical! This has been 8 months of no meaningful contact, it can not go on.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Students will get the "fast results tests" , to get them home for Christmas and aim to stop spread of infection.
That's great, but why not give these to family members too, so residents can have a hug and see family face to face not behind a screen.