Care home visitors

LucyJordan

Jan 27, 2015
My mum has recently moved to a care home. Still early days with settling in and some better than others. I am her only relative, I see her most days but usually after work when she has ‘sundown’ issues. She has no friends outside of the home.

Do any support services offer a visiting service? Just to see a different face!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
When dad was in his NH the activities co ordinator had a lovely couple of volunteers who had been vetted...man and a woman...who would chat their way round the residents particularly those who had no visitors. Also the local church clergy popped into the home to offer communion and prayers to those who wanted which may not be your mum's sort of thing but then they chatted to residents not just the ones who had joined in over tea and biscuits. Perhaps speak to the manager or activities co ordinator if the home has one to find out if this happens or is it something they could think about. At dads NH also they had 6th form students coming in once a week to chat 1 to 1 with residents like dad who didn't join in group activities...these were students who were going into a social care or medical career so great to think that their dementia experience would be taken into their related training.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Have you spoken to any of the care home staff? it is possible that she is mixing in with other residents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R