Care home visitor lockdown

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
IT was good to hear that your mum had a good quality of life in her care home @Helly68 . Yes you're right there needs to be more support and guidance thats. more direct for care homes to follow, rather than having it interpreted in different ways.
I hope Nicola Sturgeon will support testing for families, or I fear asymptomatic family members could take covid into the homes and then there will be furthe lockdowns with plenty of "I told you" this would happen.

Wishing20

Feb 27, 2020
It was announced this morning that 11,000 ipads are being provided to care homes 'as a gateway for residents to connect with loved ones'. We tried a couple of video calls to mum at the very start of lockdown but it ended up being too confusing for her as she kept looking round to see where I was :(

Quote - unnecessary visits!! Shocking statement! All family visits are necessary! I despair at the lack of compassion by this Government towards our loved ones in Care Homes :(

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Totally agree @Wishing20 regarding ‘unnecessary visit’
Sometimes technology does not succeed. I tried a Zoom call and I just saw Mum’s nose. As the staff member had to go ‘somewhere’ else Mum had no idea what to do and where to talk (she was trying to use it like a phone) and then she just put it down on a table in the lounge.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Whoever thinks that providing technology for video calls is a satisfactory and sufficient alternative to family visits knows nothing about dementia. Even with a member of staff telling her where to look my wife can't concentrate on a call for more than about 30 seconds. She never really 'got' technology even before dementia, so expecting her to be able to use it now that she has advanced Alzheimer's Disease is a non-starter. So many of her thoughts are about her childhood. There was very little technology in the 1940s.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Thanks for posting @Louise7 . I hope the government, Boris etc read this and undersrand why the decisions were made and change the restrictions here in England. I hope care homes stay safe in Scotland, as I didn't see anything about testing family.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I hope I hope care homes stay safe in Scotland, as I didn't see anything about testing family.

No, the guidance makes no mention of family being tested. The Scottish government has said “The changes will be implemented once care homes are satisfied they can be delivered safely” and it appears from this article that there will still be homes who will not be permitting indoors visits at present due to safety concerns:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54507488

Last edited:

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
That's the trouble really @Louise7 , the care homes will be scared, so this may make very little difference for many. The government needs to realise this , and then support the care homes with testing family members and providing indemnity insurance, or I fear nothing will change.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
That's the trouble really @Louise7 , the care homes will be scared, so this may make very little difference for many. The government needs to realise this , and then support the care homes with testing family members and providing indemnity insurance, or I fear nothing will change.

No further details at present but apparently the government is going to run a 'pilot scheme' with regards to family members being treated as key workers:

Ms Whately told MPs a new pilot scheme would investigate if family members can be treated like key workers, including with regular tests, allowing them to enter homes more often.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ting-visiting-winter-key-worker-b1012935.html

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
I just hope @Louise7 that the pilot scheme goes ahead without delay, I imagine Helen' idea of very soon, maybe different to those of loved ones in care homes. Am still waiting for the testing of family members mentioned by Matt Hancock back in July. Think it will be a long time before anything is rolled out, but at least it is a step in the right direction..