care home troubles

zog

Aug 11, 2013
My mother in law is caring for her mother who has Alzheimer's. It is getting to the stage where a care home now seems like the only option for her safety. Her mother has said in the past that she should put her in a home.

My mother in law has found a home which she really likes. However when she took her mother to view it she changed her mind about wanting to go in a home. But she is not safe on her own as she keeps leaving her house and getting lost.

Has anyone else on here had similar problems or have any advice on how to encourage a family member to go into a care home?
:confused:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello Zog and welcome to Talking Point , I am sorry I can't advise you but I am sure there will be someone along soon who can ,

Best Wishes Jeany x

Tigers15

Oct 21, 2012
My mother in law is caring for her mother who has Alzheimer's. It is getting to the stage where a care home now seems like the only option for her safety. Her mother has said in the past that she should put her in a home.

My mother in law has found a home which she really likes. However when she took her mother to view it she changed her mind about wanting to go in a home. But she is not safe on her own as she keeps leaving her house and getting lost.

Has anyone else on here had similar problems or have any advice on how to encourage a family member to go into a care home?
:confused:

Hi. Perhaps it was just that particular home that your mother in law's mother didn't like. I don't know if it is feasible but is mother in law's mother able to perhaps visit some more homes? Is it worth asking her what she didn't like about the home and what it is that she would like?

Aquamanda

Jan 8, 2012
Oh dear, am so sorry to hear things did not go well. Would there be any way she could be persuaded just to go for a short respite break to see how she found it then? I have a feeling she may be negative towards any home. Maybe the reality has hit her and she is frightened at such a big step so a short break there might go down better?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman