Care Home top ups

Debby Short

May 29, 2008
Near Heathrow Airport
Hi I introduced myself less then a week ago, as I was so distrot about my mum, who is only 65 (Christine) and is in the last stages of alzhimers.

At the time we had been told that she had to go into a NH, I still can't stop crying (it is very anoying), when I hear special songs etc etc.

Anyway the reason for writing is that my Dad has finally found a NH that he likes (mum when back into hospital on Friday and they will not let her go home so the decision was taken out of his hands, he had no choice but to find a NH). My parents have no savings so SS will be paying.

However, when he went to look at the home he was asked to pay £35 a week extra, he told them he could not afford this and they dropped the amount to £10 a week.

What I want to know is, is this normal? Should Dad have to pay? I have a Sister and 2 brother, and if we each pay £10 a month to dad he won't have to foot the bill.

Oh yes and one other thing (if anyone has experience of this), mum receives a pension & attendance allowance will dad lose these?
Debby.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry Debby I cannot answer your questions, but someone else might be able to.

Meanwhile, why don`t you phone the Alzheimer`s Society helpline
on 0845 300 0336.

I hope you find some answers.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Debby

I'm afraid top-ups are quite common!:(

Local authorities have a fixed amount they will pay for a resident they are funding, usually way below what the home charges people who are self-funding.

Some homes will accept the LA rate, while others demand the difference as a top-up from the family.

You have the choice of paying the top-up, and well done for beating them down, or finding a cheaper home that will accept the LA rate. If you are happy with the home your mum is in, and you can afford the top-up, it might be better to keep her where she is. But there's no harm in having a look at other homes, and asking what their policy is. You have the right to choose, even though your mum is funded.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
What Hazel has said about top-ups is spot on. You will also need a contract that spells out maximum increases in this top-up.

As to the attendance allowance and the pension - the attendance allowance will stop. Assuming this is just state pension most of that will go towards the NH (I believe it actually gets paid to the local authority). Your mother will be left with around £20 a week (not sure of the current figure) for things like clothes and toiletries. If there is also an occupational pension that will also be used, however it may be possible for some of an occupational pension to be paid back to your father. This is decided on a case by case basis.

Do make sure, as the hospital seems convinced that she needs the care that a NH can provide, that she has been considered for NHS continuing care. I would think that their refusal to allow her home must count for something, although I know it's all decided on the basis of ticking boxes. If at all possible, without jeopardizing the place at the NH I would strongly suggest that this is done before she leaves hospital rather than after.

Last edited: