Care home to own home

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
I wish to share this story with readers as a possible ray of hope. My MIL 84 severe D has been in care for a few years. She had her property sold to help pay care home fees following failings of SS. She has now been awarded CHC. I have been working with the GP and the CHC who have agreed to fund a package of care, carers 24/7 for MIL to live in her own new property. This has been working our extremely well these first 2 weeks and clearly MIL benefits from the 1-1 support and a better quality of life. Her wishes and best interests is to live in her own property to include end of life care. I work closely with the care agency and I am so pleased that everything is working so well. carers do all washing, cooking, cleaning as well personal care and providing prescribed meds. The GP visits as required. I hope this may benefit readers is some way.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I am encouraged to hear its working out. I constantly wonder whether keeping my husband at home will be the right move even if it is what he wants

Aitchbee

Nov 3, 2013
So pleased it is working out for you and your Mum. My Mum was in a NH for a year and my sister and I brought her home in Feb this year. She has advanced Lewy Body Dementia and is CHC funded. My sister and I live with Mum and do a lot of the care, cleaning, etc. but we have a package of care for Mum of 4 calls a day from Agency carers and also a night call. It is early days yet and it can be very hard emotionally and physically but it was hard for us when she was in the NH. She may yet have to go back in a NH at some point in the future but I am glad we are able to give it a go at home. All the best to you and your Mum

katek

Jan 19, 2015
I wish to share this story with readers as a possible ray of hope. My MIL 84 severe D has been in care for a few years. She had her property sold to help pay care home fees following failings of SS. She has now been awarded CHC. I have been working with the GP and the CHC who have agreed to fund a package of care, carers 24/7 for MIL to live in her own new property. This has been working our extremely well these first 2 weeks and clearly MIL benefits from the 1-1 support and a better quality of life. Her wishes and best interests is to live in her own property to include end of life care. I work closely with the care agency and I am so pleased that everything is working so well. carers do all washing, cooking, cleaning as well personal care and providing prescribed meds. The GP visits as required. I hope this may benefit readers is some way.

It is always good to hear of circumstances such as this where it works out well all round. Not only has your MIL got CHC (would be interesting to hear how she scored to get this btw) but also has her wish, which is to have care in her own home.

However, it does beg the question - what would have happened if after selling her home to pay care home fees for several years, there had not been enough money left to buy a new home in which to get this care? This could easily be the case with the high cost of care home fees (around 50K per year in some cases). Some people let out their empty property rather than sell it, but that does not always cover fees, and a sale is often necessary.

I wonder what SS' reaction would be when they expect someone to sell their property to pay care home fees, if that person turned round and said they would rather hang on to it in case they should ever need to come back to it!! This story would be a good example to give as proof this can happen!

Last edited:

stranger

Nov 14, 2014
Thanks for sharing your story, good luck hope it continues to go well, PLEASE tell me ow you managed to get CHC at home. MY OH is in an assessment unit & has been awarded fully funded CHC. although it as discussed many times ( in a previous unit ) I am unable to get a trial period of 2 weeks home care for hm. SS tell me that the funding is for health & nursing care and not social care, therefore I would not be able to leave the house unless I paid for care myself as LA would not provide care whilst I do the shopping etc. All they seem interested in is a best interest meeting to enable them to place him in care. My OH is not English and is losing capacity to speak in English and staff are reporting that he becomes very agitated as he cannot communicate his needs or wishes to them. I cannot imagine what quality of life he can have in care when he is unable to communicate with staff or other residents. I am dreading this meeting as I feel that the decision has already been made.

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
Chc in own home

Thanks for sharing your story, good luck hope it continues to go well, PLEASE tell me ow you managed to get CHC at home. .

Hi, in theory CHC can be awarded in any setting to include own home. From my experience, these decisions to fund CHC and care packages vary from different CCG`s. I was able to work with the appropriate CCG and explained the best interests, as COP Deputy and pleased to say the CHC funders agreed. It is still early days that care / CHC is in place and care in own home funded by CHC. I understand a time may come perhaps soon, when such funding may be taken over by the local CCG, as MIL is currently funded by another county, when she was in care there. If CHC is transferred locally, then I understand their view is value for money and not best interests, which may mean some or all the current CHC funding may be lost, even though MIL suffers AD Severe. Good luck.