Care Home Swop Refused

HangingOn

Oct 5, 2021
My husband has Huntington's so his mental capacity isn't what it used to be, to cut long story short
Had a fall in hospital, ended up in assessment care home as S/s wanted him home,I didnt. Couldn't care for himself, had a 10 min Ass by phone So ended up in there 3 bus rides away. He gets left in bed not washed or dressed food in bed on floor soiled pads 3 times have found him like this. His treats on table is far away that he hasn't touched them in days remote for TV is next to TV uses a Zimmer but carnt reach.I asked him did he want to go closer to me and kids he agreed. got him a place closer to family but S/S spoke to him day before THEN had a (meeting) with me said no he didnt want to go, I said if I was to visit with him to other care home he could see for himself, she then pointed out it would be coercion under Mental health act if I took him. OMG this is a social Worker who stood in his room ignored state of his filthy bed food on floor and me raising concerns.
What can I do except give up.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @HangingOn

It sounds as though your husband is being neglected in his current care home so you could ask for him to be moved to somewhere more suitable and able to care for him, which could be closer to you. He also has a right to a family life and, if 3 bus journeys are difficult or expensive for you to manage this should be considered too.

Have you got LPA for health and welfare? This may help your case.

How long has he been in the current home?

rhibeth1

Jul 3, 2021
That’s absolutely shocking social services don’t seem to care about your husband being neglected in that care home I would definitely demand that he be moved to somewhere that meets his needs and closer to home for u

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @HangingOn, I think it might be a good idea to phone the help line to discuss what you could do next. Even if the care home was perfect, the fact that you and your family have to take three buses to get there makes it less than ideal, specially if there are places better suited to his needs nearer home.
They can be contacted on 0333 150 3456 or emailed dementia.connect@alzheimers.org.uk