care home stuff

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
It's been a while since my last post and my mum is now in a nursing home. She's been given continuing care funding but I've received a contract for me to sign stating that I accept personal responsibility for the payment of fees ...

I really don't like that wording and wonder if I have to sign it as it stands ????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ..

Paul

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I really don't like that wording and wonder if I have to sign it as it stands ????

have you still got control of your mother Income . if Not I would not sigh it .

Long time no see , Nice to see you on TP

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Paul. It's been a while. How are you doing?

I vaguely remember this issue coming up last year, at least as far as unfair contract terms in a nursing home contract. When you say "continuing care" do you mean NHS funded care, or something else?

Jennifer

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
jenniferpa said:
Hi Paul. It's been a while. How are you doing?

I vaguely remember this issue coming up last year, at least as far as unfair contract terms in a nursing home contract. When you say "continuing care" do you mean NHS funded care, or something else?

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,Margarita ...

Yeah it's nice to be back, I've been viewing the site but not posting much because a nurse at my mum's previous home visits here, and I didn't feel like I could post on here regarding certain things that happened at the home .. Anyway I'm back now ;-)

My mum is NHS funded at the moment but that's being reviewed in a fortnights time.

Plus I will be moving to the States in October so I've got a lot going on at the moment ..

Stay cool,

Paul

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hmm I suppose they're trying to get you to sign this in case the NHS funding is pulled? I think you need to toddle off to your local CAB or law centre. I definitely wouldn't sign something that seems as open-ended as this without taking legal advice. Have you asked your social worker about this?

Jennifer

PS If you need any help, any help AT ALL, about the US thing, PM me. I mean this. I know your fiance is over here, but anything about being an "expat" I can help you with.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Hmm I suppose they're trying to get you to sign this in case the NHS funding is pulled?

Also go to see you local councillor , as they can’t pull the funding away , sounds like they is a lot of intimidation going on making you sigh that .

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Hi Paul,
I'm in Australia so our circumstances won't be the same, but, for what it is worth, I had to sign a similar document when Mum and Dad went into their Nursing Home - saying I'd be responsible for fees, etc.

On the other hand, the NH made sure I understood that before I signed I should have POA to my parents' money so that I could use their funds (rather than my own) for this purpose. So they (NH) were very clear and honest with me about it.

Fortunately for me there were no hassles.
I hope you can find a solution that sits well with you. Nell.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I would definitely be very cautious about signing under these circumstances and would take further advice. You could also try phoning the AS helpline on 0845 300 0336 open 8.30am to 6.30pm Monday-Friday. If your mum's funding is due to be reviewed in a fortnight's time then do you think it would be possible to delay signing anything until after that anyway?

I hope you don't mind me asking but did you find it hard to get continuing care funding for your mum? I know this is something that a lot of people have problems with. My mum has been self funded since she went into residential care in November 2004 but her condition has deteriorated significantly in that time. She has been getting the middle band of the nursing care contribution since last year but I need to investigate whether that has ever been reviewed.

joyportsmouth

Mar 26, 2007
Hi Paul
Dont know if this is the samre thing but my mum has just gone into EMI and i have had to sort all this kind of thing out.Mums care is NHS funded but its really strange the way it works.Mum has no money of her own except her state pension of 119. per week.
Social services pay her fees of 395.00 per week,but
Thay want back 99.00 of her pension towards the cost so instead of the DWP giving it to them directly they send it all to me each week {119.00} and i have to pay 99.00 directly to social services.
So ive just had to sign saying im responsiable for her fees,but realisticly its mums money any way.Seems a really stupid way of doing it.
Hope this is some help.
JOY

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I'm not sure but I think Paul's situation could be rather different. I think his mum is on continuing care funding because she fits the criteria. This is not means tested. Someone having insufficient assets to be charged nursing home fees is in a different position and most of their benefits will be taken as a contribution to the fees. I don't think that someone on continuing care pays any contribution to the fees.

I hope this makes sense!

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
noelphobic said:
I hope you don't mind me asking but did you find it hard to get continuing care funding for your mum?

I didn't do anything at all ... My mum's consultant said that because of her condition she needed 24 hour care and he recommend her for continuing care funding....

I'm not sure what the criteria is to gain this funding buy my mum can't do anything for herself now and it takes 3 or 4 people to get her washed and dressed in the mornings.

Maybe we just got a good consultant ..

Paul

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
noelphobic said:
I'm not sure but I think Paul's situation could be rather different. I think his mum is on continuing care funding because she fits the criteria. This is not means tested. Someone having insufficient assets to be charged nursing home fees is in a different position and most of their benefits will be taken as a contribution to the fees. I don't think that someone on continuing care pays any contribution to the fees.

I hope this makes sense!

That's right, it's just because of the level of care that my mum needs and yes, she does get to keep all of her state pension (more biscuits and lemonade for her :) )

Paul

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
mojofilter said:
I didn't do anything at all ... My mum's consultant said that because of her condition she needed 24 hour care and he recommend her for continuing care funding....

I'm not sure what the criteria is to gain this funding buy my mum can't do anything for herself now and it takes 3 or 4 people to get her washed and dressed in the mornings.

Maybe we just got a good consultant ..

Paul

The criteria seem to vary from one PCT to the next. This was supposed to be changing this year so that it was standardised but I think this may have been delayed. I did also read some worrying reports that said that when the new criteria were tested on people who were presently receiving continuing care funding, some of them no longer qualified!

My mum can also do nothing for herself and has deteriorated rapidly over the last couple of years. She is on the middle band for nursing contributions but I think this should be raised to the higher band. In fact I think she should be on continuing care but I have neither the time nor the stamina to fight for it at the moment.

I hope there is no change in the funding when your mum's case is reviewed Paul.

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
I called my mothers social worker this morning and explained to him what was going on.

Apparently they messed up with the paperwork and that's why I ended up getting the contract from the home... They're going to send someone out from their finance department to sort everything out ....

So with a little luck it should all be sorted out this week (fingers crossed)

Paul

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes! Way to go Paul. Why do these things (messed up paperwork etc) always seem to happen at the weekend when there's no one to get in touch with?

Jennifer

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976