Care Home soon part 2 almost there

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
Hello all, going on from my recent post about my brother who I'm sure is ready for a care home. Things escalated today, when it appears he had another fall, well, to explain, the morning carer found him on the bathroom floor ... again. She called the paramedics who examined him and they said he was uninjured so no need to go to hospital. The monitoring system in his home failed to pick up his fall. I think it's because he crawled from his bed to the bathroom. The sensors are shoulder height. I can't be sure how long he was on the floor, possibly hours or even all night. The carer said he was sound asleep on the floor and quite unaware of where he was. The paramedics got him up and he wanted to go back to bed. Since I last posted, he has mostly stayed in bed most of the time, refusing to go downstairs for his food, refusing to take his daily medication and not wanting to be washed. The carers report that his confusion is getting worse and he looks very frail. Hence the carers take a tray up to him with his favourite foods but he either refuses it or just plays around with it on the plate and mashes it up and says he's had enough when he hasn't even had a mouthful. The carers have managed to get him to take taken mouthful or two.
I think that he is approaching EOL as he doesn't want to eat and can't seem to stay awake. I hate to think that he'll be alone in his home when he eventually fades. Of course I could be wrong. Today I've found a care home willing to take him on a respite trial but I have to get SServices to talk to them about how far advanced his FTD is. The care home in question want to assess him but I don't know how they'll do that. He doesn't understand what is being said to him and just responds with the same array of phrases so I assume the assessment will be via Social Services. It's all very sad as due to Covid and the fact that I live so far away, I haven't seen him since December and have only spoken to him a few times. His attention span is short and he just puts the phone to one side when the carers give it to him and his speech is laboured. Sorry, this is just a vent. Any advice, feedback is always welcome and has always been so good.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’m sorry to read your sad update @Brother47 . It really does sound as though your brother needs the support of a carehome now. I know when my dad was assessed for a carehome his home carers were involved in the process and this was pre-covid. They wouldn’t have got much sense from dad - he thought he was fine! He was similar to your brother at the time.

I hope he can get a place soon.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I hope you can get your brother into a home shortly. Pre-covid the care home mum moved to came round and assessed her while I was there. I didn't explain what it was for, just that they were friends of mine. Mum wasn't as advanced as your brother so I needed subterfuge. Is there anyway you can get down to your brother's for a few days to organise a move into care. I think it would be allowed under the current Covid restrictions.

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
I hope you can get your brother into a home shortly. Pre-covid the care home mum moved to came round and assessed her while I was there. I didn't explain what it was for, just that they were friends of mine. Mum wasn't as advanced as your brother so I needed subterfuge. Is there anyway you can get down to your brother's for a few days to organise a move into care. I think it would be allowed under the current Covid restrictions.
Thanks for your reply Sarawak. At last, today we had a break through. SServices have finally agreed that he needs 24/7 care. They reacted to my terse call yesterday after the latest fall. I got a bit angry and said it was getting too dangerous for him to be home alone. They agreed that as he’s become so frail that has changed things. They helped me choose a care home to suit his needs and I approached two of the three they found and one was happy to consider him for a trial period. We are having a Zoom meeting in the morning (care home, Social Service, care company) to discuss his condition and onward care plan. THe home are saying that there’s a good chance he could be moved there at the weekend subject to a clear Covid test and what’s agreed tomorrow. Initially It’ll be a 2/3week trial to see if he settles but in real terms he just can’t be at home alone between care visits anymore. He’s almost to the point where he doesn't care about anything anyway. I don’t think he’s aware of much around him now as he sleep for about 17/20 hours a day only waking up when the carer arrives . Fingers crossed he will settle in this home and possibly feel better with something around him. His daily care visits are almost palliative now as he eats so very little. So sad. Thank you. Your suggestion was good.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That sounds a positive step @Brother47. There may well be some improvement for your brother when he is somewhere with other people 24/7. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly and he moves this weekend.

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
I’m sorry to read your sad update @Brother47 . It really does sound as though your brother needs the support of a carehome now. I know when my dad was assessed for a carehome his home carers were involved in the process and this was pre-covid. They wouldn’t have got much sense from dad - he thought he was fine! He was similar to your brother at the time.

I hope he can get a place soon.
Thank you Bunpoots, yes, I think with a good meeting today, there's a good chance we'll get him sorted very soon. Like you Dad, my brother won't make much sense at all. He tried to talk but what comes out is a jumble. A bit of 'life' around him just may just perk him up a bit.

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
That sounds a positive step @Brother47. There may well be some improvement for your brother when he is somewhere with other people 24/7. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly and he moves this weekend.
Yes, I've got everything crossed. It just has to be better for him than being alone at home. Daresay he'll voice some resistance or confusion at the outset but I'm sure everyone goes through that. Thank you Sarasa