Care home search

dinner lady

Aug 3, 2017
Hi, I’m a new member to this forum and am main carer for my mum who lives with Alzheimer’s. She currently lives in her own home but has recently become more confused and anxious due to lockdown. Recent events have made me realise that mum isn’t safe in her home now and I am presently making enquiries at care homes near to where she lives and also near to my home which is 32 miles away from mums home. Is anyone in a similar situation as myself?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @dinner lady.

I'm not in a similar position but in the hope that it's of some help with your search here's a link to the Society Factsheet covering the issue
Selecting and moving into a care home (690)
PDF printable version

Then this link will take you to a site where you can see homes in your area - many with reviews(I don't know how accurate the reviews are)

JGDMG

May 5, 2020
Hi, I’m a new member to this forum and am main carer for my mum who lives with Alzheimer’s. She currently lives in her own home but has recently become more confused and anxious due to lockdown. Recent events have made me realise that mum isn’t safe in her home now and I am presently making enquiries at care homes near to where she lives and also near to my home which is 32 miles away from mums home. Is anyone in a similar situation as myself?
I hope you are able to visit (eventually) and have a look around different homes, but I guess this may be a long time off in the current situation. If you are able to visit it can be very reassuring, and also you can get the 'feel' of the place which I think is very important. Of course what appeals to you might be different to where your Mum feels comfortable, but generally you should be able to find somewhere you both like. I went to 8 different homes with my mum just looking for respite for a week or two. In one of them my mum said I don't like this place, and I agreed. There was another place I liked but for mum it was too old with high ceilings. The place she and I both liked was light and bright with carers who smiled and chatted a lot and seemed to be enjoying their work. I do hope you and your mum have a good choice of homes and are in a position to choose one that's the best for her.