Care Home Reviews?!

sandy25

Nov 30, 2005
I know this isn't likely but I don't suppose theres an area of AZ TP or another website where Regional Care Homes are reviewed?

I know people rely on On-line reviews too much now but we're looking into care homes for my dad - and other than looking at the CSCI reports I was wondering how you find out about local views on particular homes?
None of the CSCI reports for my area seem particularly brilliant...

Sandy

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
sandy25 said:
I know this isn't likely but I don't suppose theres an area of AZ TP or another website where Regional Care Homes are reviewed?

I know people rely on On-line reviews too much now but we're looking into care homes for my dad - and other than looking at the CSCI reports I was wondering how you find out about local views on particular homes?
None of the CSCI reports for my area seem particularly brilliant...

Sandy

I've never come across any apart from the CSCI ones personally. When you say that none of them are brilliant what do you mean exactly? Do you mean that they don't paint the homes in a good light or that they don't give you the information that your require?

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
hi sandy, i don't know of specific website ....... but one thing i found useful was to go to the website for my area (one that just discusses anything and everything about what's going on in the city) and search for anything about different care homes, and posted asking if anyone had experience of the one i was looking at for my dad.

what i realised though is that anyone can post there. so the person responding very positively could in fact be the home owner (in dusguise) or of course her worst enemy/rival giving a negative review. taken with a pinch of salt though, it could be useful.

sandy25

Nov 30, 2005
most of them are pretty poor in the evidence descriptions although I haven't looked closely at the scorings of standards etc. .
we found one that seemed ok but the only disadvantage is that their activities co-ordnator had been absent, and on a family visit it did seem that people were sat around not doing anything. so was just wondering how to find out general views about the place.
though one member of my family has commented - 'well what do you expect they're hardly going to be up dancing and singing'... What should I expect?!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Funny thing, I suggested this as something that would be desirable on TP when I first joined. I realise now that it is not something that TP can do, for many reasons, some of which are:

1. TP is owned by Alzheimer's Society, which cannot be seen to be partial - even when being so might be to the benefit of people with the disease.

2. As Aine says in another context, a dodgy care home owner might post fictitious good reports, trying to gain business.

3. once posted, messages stay on the system. Someone might post a good review this week [or a bad one], and next week new owners could appear who transform the place [from one to the other]

4. who is to say that what I think of as good care is what anyone else would?

5. a disgruntled member of staff, just fired for being poor at caring, might post a false bad report.

6. TP and thus AS would lay itself open to being sued.

I think it would just be a nest of worms even to think about it.

So, sadly......

sandy25

Nov 30, 2005
You're right Brucie, thinking about it it woudl open a can of worms. I think this choosing a care home issue is going to be v.difficult for our family. The main carer wants it doing as quickly as possible as they can't cope anymore, I however want to take time and do it properly as it wont' help him if he has to move a 2nd time. Aaagh!
(P.S Brucie - did you see my message on the tea room forum from your last message? - can't seem to send you PM's)
Sandy

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
I can understand you wanting reviews and feeling you need to take time and chose carefully. But I think you'll have a pretty good idea when you visit places whether they're OK or not. A couple of the places I looked at I knew almost as soon as I got through the door that I wasn't going to have my dad live there!

I don't think I read many (?any) CSCI reports that were terribly positive. But then they seemed to report any and every little negative thing ....... scuffs from wheelchairs on the bottoms of the bedroom doors, peeling paint etc. OK, so it may be a sign of general lack of care ..... but it might be that emphasis is on more important things.

I'd go for somewhere where the staff seem approachable and I guess I'd make that the priority. Anything else then you can discuss and sort out with them.

Is it possible to have a week or two respite in one of them a) to give the main carer a break and b) to get a better idea of what it's like.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
P.S Brucie - did you see my message on the tea room forum from your last message? - can't seem to send you PM's
Hi sandy25, I've replied to your message in the Tea Room, and, hopefully, explained. Thanks!

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Respite is a very good idea when it comes to choosing a care home. The trouble is sometimes you have to do this quickly, because of circumstance, and it is not always practicle.

Lionel is in a new home, we just went and had 'afternoon tea' with them as they opened, then I booked him in for respite. That went well, thank goodness, as his mobility went completely quite suddenly, and now he is there permanently. No review available of course, but sometimes you get a gut feeling.

I must confess, if I had to convalence somewhere myself, I would be tempted to book myself in. Hope it continues to be of such a high standard. (Of course he will have to move when our monies run out, but shall worry about that when the time comes. For now he is happy)

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Sandy,

I may be worth running some searches on the forum as there a few good post on help finding a care home. Search for 'finding a care home' or 'csci'.

I'll also quote a post that I wrote some time ago recommending the Elderly Accommodation Council. See the end of this message.

I recently moved mum to a nursing home and the CSCI reports were invaluable. After a few visits and rereading the reports it was clear that they nearly always spotted the underlying issues. Personally, what always concerns me is when I read about issues with staff or staffing levels, or bad staff relationships. If the staff do not get on with the manager or each other then the whole place will fall apart. It is always interesting to see if homes improve or address the previous reports findings, so remember not just to look at the latest. As others may have advise ALWAYS make at least one visit unannounced and if possible talk to any relatives that are visiting the home.

Just my humble ramblings.
Kind Regards
Craig

Hi Judes,

the term EMI covers Elder Mentally Infirm which some homes prefer not to use now. So looking for a specific EMI home may be a bit missleading. Just make sure that you discuss this with any home that you contact.

I spent hours on the phone discussing these issues with the homes that I called and they were all aware of the term EMI. Some residential homes may be able to accommodate your mum as well as nursing homes. It is up to you, but make sure that you keep a list of questions that reflect exactly what you want for your mother. You should be aware for example that some homes will take EMI residents as well as people with other mental health problems. Depending on your location, you should also be able to find homes that deal specfically with the needs of elderly with dementia and look after people at all stages of dementia.

Once you've narrowed it down, go along and visit the most suitable and make sure you ask all the questions again along with a very good look around.

I know your needs are immediate, but the above may help you find something that's right for your mother in the long term. The social worker, by the way, has a duty to help you find somewhere in the short term and they should be well aware of this!

One contact that I used to help find a place for dad was the Elderly Accommodation Counsel....they will give you a personalised report related to needs and areas. You can then narrow down the list using the phone and a bit of footwork. Excellent helpful advice. And of course don't forget the Alzheimers Help Line - again, very clear and excellent advice 0845 300 0336

Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC)
This national charity provides detailed information on all types of accommodation for older people in the UK. They can also offer advice and guidance to help you choose the type of accommodation most suited to your needs.

3rd Floor
89 Embankment
London SE1 7TP
Advice line 020 7820 1343
Email enquiries@e-a-c.demon.co.uk
Website www.housingcare.org

Kind Regards
Craig

sandy25

Nov 30, 2005
Thanks for this Craig and Aine, that link was useful and yes I think an initial respite period would be a good idea...I'll suggest that.

I'm trying to arrange a visit next week. The main carer really likes one particular place, which we need to visit urgently as they only have one place left.

If you go in as respite to test it out so to speak, would they reserve one of the places for you? What if someone else gets in and snaps it up?!

I referred to it earlier as being such an important decision, more so than buying your own house and I know how much work i put into mine!

Sandy

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Sorry but in my experience it totally depends on the home.
I'd discuss a 'trial' term instead of 'respite' if you are thinking of giving it a test.

The reason for this is that a lot of homes charge more for respite and if you are considering something longer term why not go for a trial. They are also more likely to keep the room for you if it is a trial. Also, you have legal rights for a trial - depends on the contract but most homes provide a trial period where you do not have a notice period and quite a bit of flexibility.

Please check contracts with care homes before respite or trial periods. Check the notice period, additional cost etc etc. Sandy, please don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, it saves any nasty surprises!

I was talking to mum about her home tonight and we feel that what makes a good home is a good manager and happy staff. This filters right down to the residents and keeps the home well run. Try and talk to the staff and see how they feel about the home, how long have they been working there, how do they get on with the manager etc......just my humble thoughts and observations.

Good luck
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman