Care Home/Respite

Pebbles63

Dec 11, 2020
I know there is a lot of information on here about care homes and I have had a look at posts already. Since I've started looking at information about Alzheimer's and care homes, numerous advertising posts have appeared on my Facebook newsfeed. Lots of the comments advocate keeping the person at home for as long as possible and recommend not going for the care home option. My issue is that my Mum doesn't take any comfort from being in the familiar surroundings of her home. She is dreadfully worried, all the time, about whose home it actually is, concerned that the "people" who own the home will come back, doesn't recognise or remember her clothes or bedroom. She becomes very distressed and anxious and asks me to find her somewhere nice to live. She's in hospital at the moment as she's had to have a pacemaker fitted. I'm wondering if a respite/convalescent placement in a care home might be a good idea to see how it goes? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Pebbles63 . I recommend taking a look at the website link below. You can search for care homes by area and various criteria, and look at reviews. If you scroll down to the bottom of the main page, it also has a lot of useful information about how to choose a care home, various types of care home, funding and so on. Why not have a look, call a few and speak to the managers about your mum. It sounds as though it might be the right time to consider residential care and you may feel better after having a good look around the website:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Pebbles63
Yes, I know that the "official" line is that people do better at home, but IMO that all goes out of the window when you are talking about dementia. If home doesnt bring them comfort then why try and push it? Mum went into her care home from hospital as part of a reablement scheme for 6 weeks. At the end of it it was decided that she should stay there. I took her home so that she could select a few things for her room, but her reaction was just the same your mums - she didnt recognise anything, kept on asking whose home it was and why were we there and was frightened that the real owners would come back and catch her there. She was so much better off in her care home. She was happy, made friends and thrived there (although, to be fair, it did take her a few weeks to settle)