Care Home Registration

kazlou

Feb 3, 2006
Surrey
We are now at the stage of looking for a suitable care home for Mum. We have been to several homes in the area, but having a few problem, Mum had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia just over 2 years ago, she is 87 years old and living in sheltered housing with support from carers and family, but we feel now she needs 24 hour care. We have been told by these care homes that as Mum has had a diagnosis for Alzheimer's she will need to go into an E.M.I registered home. We are experiencing a lack of this type of home in the Kent area and what we have seen so far we think are unsuitable for Mum, she doesn't wander but is very confused, has occasional mild delusions & occasional word salad.
Have been using the c.s.c.i web site and homes marked as for people with dementia will not consider Mum.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Kazlou
Have you tried your Local Alzheimer's Branch for help?
The Local Authority does have a book of all listed homes and it would be worth while asking them or your S.W for a copy.
Good Luck
Christine

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
We are experiencing a lack of this type of home in the Kent area and what we have seen so far we think are unsuitable for Mum, she doesn't wander but is very confused, has occasional mild delusions & occasional word salad.

Hi Kazlou

Try not to be put off by what you have seen of EMI homes. I know when I first visited John's, I was very upset, and felt that he was not ready for that.

But in fact I am so happy now that he is there. There is a higher staff ratio than in care homes, and the staff are some of the kindest people I have ever met. Those who want to walk have space to do it, there is an enclosed garden for them, and they are totally secure. The activities co-ordinator gives them one-to-one time, rather than group activities, and there are amazingly few problems.

OK, some of the residents call out, or chatter non-stop, and that can be off-putting at first, but once you get used to that, and get to know them as psople, it stops bothering you.

Why don't you visit them again and try to talk to as many people as you can, staff, residents, families?

Some of them may well be totally unsuitable for your mum, but you will probably find one where you think she would settle.

Good luck,