Care home records question

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Is the next of kin entitled to see the care plan or daily log of their relative who has been in respite?

No huge problems, but dad was told over the phone that mam was eating heartily, yet when he picked her up yesterday, the nurse gave a slightly different story.

We'd just like to know which of those two verbal reports to believe by having a look at the daily record that they presumably fill out.

Thank you.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I am sure you can. We look at my husband's a couple of times a week and anything that is not contained in the book that we want to know his carer will go and find out for us. Hopefully all homes are as open, if not they should be.

My husbands book is very comprehensive and is filled in hourly. This may be because he is on 1:1 and the carers rotate on an hourly basis so each one records their hour, noting drinking, eating, conversation, activity in fact everything. We even know what time he has his hair and nails cut.

There are no top secrets held in these records so if they are withholding them then maybe they are not being kept as they should.

Jay

Jay

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you Jay, that's helpful. They are not withholding them, we haven't asked to see them yet, but I just wanted to know whether we were entitled to see them before we asked!

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
If it helps I asked to see my aunties care plan as I had the same issue - one carer told me she was eating when actually that couldn't have been further from the truth!

It shows all sorts things even down to weight loss.

Hope it helps x

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
Is the next of kin entitled to see the care plan or daily log of their relative who has been in respite?

Not automatically.

If you want to be sure, set up a health-and-welfare power of attorney while the donor still has capacity.

e.g. here's a thread from a while back:

Access to Care Home Records
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?22546

The family have recently been informed that they can no longer read the care home's daily diary sheets! This is something we have been used to doing over a number of years.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi all and thank you.

Unfortunately POA is not possible now as she has lost capacity :(.

I think we can probably sort it out by speaking to the manager - I hope, anyway. Not too much of an issue at the moment, but just want to be sure the home is giving us an accurate picture of what mam has eaten while in the weekly overnight respite that she is now going to.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
What I would say, so as not to sound critical or complaining and make them defensive is that because she is there 2 days a week that it would be useful for your dad if he could see the daily records for when she is there so that he can make sure there is continuity for her when she is home too. It would help him to know if there had been any incidents or behavioural issues so there are no surprises for him when he takes her home.

Then when he has seen them he can mention the eating and ask about any entries.

Fiona