Care home recommendations for respite and also long term care Bristol

MikeBris

Sep 2, 2014
Hello

You will see from my previous posts that my Dad is the full time carer for my Mum who has dementia. Despite efforts to get some help in ( we tried agencies who sent carers but my Mum did not get on with them, and day care centres (same problem), my Dad has been reluctant to leave Mum on her own so he can get some respite. They have been together so long she will ask where he is after a short period of time and this obviously worries him.
He has to lock the door at night otherwise she would try and get out to 'go home' and goes to the loo about 30 times/night(she did have an infection a while ago and my Dad knows to check for this). Her behavior is definitely getting worse and he admits she pushes him now. The local dementia service are very understanding and are trying different meds although nothing has improved things so far. The have also provided links to care home sites for us to search - I think they may not be allowed to recommend specific ones though.
I think Dad may now be close to accepting help. I have already arranged for him to try another day care centre.
If anyone can recommend a home which offers short term(say 1 to 3 nights) respite in Bristol I would be grateful. The ones I have contacted either cannot be booked in advance or could not look after dementia suffers who wander.
Thank you

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Its sad to hear how your Mum is deteriorating but glad that your Dad is close to accepting more help.

If members do have recommendations they are unable to post them here but they will be able to private message you.

I found that it best to use the list provided by the LA but actually go in and see the ones nearest to us. I also asked around locally who had used which homes and how they found them.

If you or your Dad have not done it already, I suggest you speak to the local branch of the AS. They may well have a dementia support worker or will have carers' support groups. They may then give you some idea of which homes are worth visiting.
You can find your local branch here:
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/...D=200121&_ga=1.51208425.1546395816.1450770139

MikeBris

Sep 2, 2014
Many thanks Jan. I have contacted the local Alzheimers but they too are not allowed to recommend specific places. I have contacted a few places (am awaiting call back) so will keep trying.