Care home query

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
OH has only been in a care home for four weeks and we are still calling it a trial/respite.

Care home are pushing for me to change him to a doctor nearby. I am not sure this is necessary as I, or my son or daughter in law, could be at the home in 15 minutes. Last week he had an appointment at the doctors. I took him and dealt with prescription etc. So I really do not see any need for him to have a local doctor. In an emergency it would be ambulance or I would take him to A & E.

When OH was using a day centre they sent home a form for permission to allow them to contact other health services on his behalf. I declined this at the time because, as I always say, I am the expert on him and I do not want to be left out of the loop.

I can see this being a sticking point for him staying there long term.

Comments please. Help me see it from their perspective. Am I being too controlling? Has anyone else kept with the same doctor after PWD enters care system?

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
OH has only been in a care home for four weeks and we are still calling it a trial/respite.

Care home are pushing for me to change him to a doctor nearby. I am not sure this is necessary as I, or my son or daughter in law, could be at the home in 15 minutes. Last week he had an appointment at the doctors. I took him and dealt with prescription etc. So I really do not see any need for him to have a local doctor. In an emergency it would be ambulance or I would take him to A & E.

When OH was using a day centre they sent home a form for permission to allow them to contact other health services on his behalf. I declined this at the time because, as I always say, I am the expert on him and I do not want to be left out of the loop.

I can see this being a sticking point for him staying there long term.

Comments please. Help me see it from their perspective. Am I being too controlling? Has anyone else kept with the same doctor after PWD enters care system?

Hi

My wife went into nursing care last September and as it was 7 miles from our home, plus the fact that there was a GP practice next door to the home, I readily agreed to them registering her there. It indeed was in fact more beneficial, as like most of the other residents, she was in there because she had become virtually immobile.

The GPs were regular visitors, popping in to advise the onsite nurse, checking on patients and in my case, helping deal with her end of life care.?

So my opinion, based on our experience, is that it was reassuring to have that support close by and by GPs who were used to working with the nursing home.

Hope this helps.
Phil

Olliebeak

Sep 13, 2014
Buckinghamshire
When my husband has been in for respite they have made it clear if he needed urgent care it would be via the GP that looks after all the permanent residents. When my father moved into care I agreed to him changing rather grudgingly as I knew the surgery that covered the home was not the greatest. But they had regular visits from a doctor who could check all the meds, renew prescriptions and deal with minor health problems without visits to the surgery. I think if I was managing a home I would prefer everyone to have the same GP so that there was continuity and the staff could build a good relationship with “their” doctor.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad kept the same doctor but his GP surgery was less than a mile away from the home so was their doctor anyway. Have you asked your OH's GP if they would visit the home. They may not.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband changed to the nursing homes doctor. We were just a 15 minute drive away but the home was out of our own doctors catchment area. It was useful in so much as the homes Doctor was just a five minute walk away, he had regular visiting days and any concerns he dealt with along with those who had a booked appointment with him. He was fully understanding of dementia.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum changed GP when she moved into hern care home. It was much better because the GP used to come into the care home at least once a week and would come in extra if there was a specific concern. It meant that mum was treated in the home and didnt have to go out the the surgery (which was becoming quite hard by the time she moved into a care home as she never thought there was anything wrong) and I really didnt want her having to go to A&E unless it was absolutely necessary. Like Philbo, they also organised end of life care.

Where it comes to asking you if they can speak to other professionals, its not a question of bypassing you, its more keeping communication going. So many problems are caused by lack of communication and, as time goes by, you will need everyone singing from the same songsheet.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
When my wife went into care permanently I registered her with the local practice recommended by the home. She was outside the catchment area for her old practice and all the partners there retired in any case. This also meant that ordering and receipt of prescriptions became the care home's responsibility. The visiting practice nurse also added my wife to her list of regulars. There seems no point in changing for short respite stays but for permanent change of residence this would seem both appropriate and necessary.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother moved too far away to keep her old GP, excellent though he and his partners were. Her Care Home has a very good relationship with the local practice. Residents who are able can go there under their own steam, but a named GP visits the home weekly to check up on the less mobile residents and those with dementia such as my mum. I'd heard excellent things about her, and this was confirmed when she phoned up for a chat about what I'd like to do if mum became ill. She was kind, sensitive and obviously knew all about mum and her medical needs.
I'd swap over if the move becomes permanent, I'm pleased to know that someone is keeping an eye out for mum and hopefully can nip any potential problems such as a UTI in the bud.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Thanks for all your replies. It helped to read that using the local service works well. I am still not sure if OH will become permanent in this home so I do not want him to leave our doctor and then have to return.