Care home place available but.......

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Try to say as little as possible to your mum in the run up to the move. Tricky I know if you are discretely packing things up. Remember you only need to take about as much as your mum would need for a holiday now. You can do the rest at your leisure when she's there.

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
Try to say as little as possible to your mum in the run up to the move. Tricky I know if you are discretely packing things up. Remember you only need to take about as much as your mum would need for a holiday now. You can do the rest at your leisure when she's there.
Interesting you should say that. For the past few months, whenever I visit, I've taken to putting all of the bags of laundry/ recycling etc into my car well before I go home to stop Mum tripping over my bags ... so that when the time comes, I can hopefully sneak stuff out without her noticing :)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Interesting you should say that. For the past few months, whenever I visit, I've taken to putting all of the bags of laundry/ recycling etc into my car well before I go home to stop Mum tripping over my bags ... so that when the time comes, I can hopefully sneak stuff out without her noticing :)
You will need to sew labels on to clothes as well. Also you can bring in a few treats for your mum when you visit and you may still be able to take her out occasionally. If her room has an ensuite make sure you bring a torch with you as dad would turn the light off when I was in the toilet.

MaNaAk

PS: @jennifer1967 the home still remember dad wandering into the kitchen.

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
You will need to sew labels on to clothes as well. Also you can bring in a few treats for your mum when you visit and you may still be able to take her out occasionally. If her room has an ensuite make sure you bring a torch with you as dad would turn the light off when I was in the toilet.

MaNaAk

PS: @jennifer1967 the home still remember dad wandering into the kitchen.
I've actually just ordered laundry labels.... never thought about a torch :))

quickstepqueen

Mar 11, 2018
Good luck. It's so hard. My Great Aunt goes into a care home on Monday for an "extended holiday." Thankfully she's had respite there before and likes it. Like you, when a permanent bed came up this week, and she'd had 2 falls and another UTI, I realised that it was better to move her now and grab the care home space for her. Moving to a home was always on the cards, and something we'd discussed for the last 2 years. I just didn't expect that day to ever arrive. But I'm lucky, my Aunt isn't moving to a place she's never been to before.
I can't imagine how anxious you must be feeling about the day ahead but you're clearly wanting to put your mum's best interests first and that shows how caring you are. All the very best.

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
Good luck. It's so hard. My Great Aunt goes into a care home on Monday for an "extended holiday." Thankfully she's had respite there before and likes it. Like you, when a permanent bed came up this week, and she'd had 2 falls and another UTI, I realised that it was better to move her now and grab the care home space for her. Moving to a home was always on the cards, and something we'd discussed for the last 2 years. I just didn't expect that day to ever arrive. But I'm lucky, my Aunt isn't moving to a place she's never been to before.
I can't imagine how anxious you must be feeling about the day ahead but you're clearly wanting to put your mum's best interests first and that shows how caring you are. All the very best.
Thank you. I'm delighted that your great Aunt has been offered a place in a care home that she likes.