Care home out of area

Sueperzoom

Aug 15, 2021
Our social worker has said dad needs one to one care in a nursing home. We are still unclear how this will be funded- she has applied for CHC funding but either way we are unable to fund it ourselves or pay a top up ?.

He has been in hospital for 3 weeks now and there are still no places in our local area. The social worker has now said she needs to look at homes in other towns. This will make visiting really hard for mum. She is 76 and doesn't drive. She has been using the local ring and ride service to visit him in hospital but thus only covers a 6 mile radius. If dad is out of the area she will be completely dependent on me taking her on evenings and weekends. Do we have any right to insist he stays local? Part of the problem is the ones who can offer a place require a top up and the council wont extend their funding. Or do we have any right to bring him home and the council pay for carers?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Councils are always wanting to try maximum care at home carried out by a care team before looking at residential care. As your Dad needs nursing care and 1:1 I and the Social Worker is looking for a nursing home having him home is not an option.

You can certainly put forward your case for your Dad being in a home. close to home but if there is nowhere with a vacancy then it will have to be further away. Maybe accept this but ask that when a more convenient nursing home closer to your Mum has a vacancy, your Dad is moved.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The trouble is that if you try and hole out for a local place when SS have found a place out of area, the hospital is unlikely tokeep him in hospital. Are there any homes in your area which would accept him and accept the LA fee, but do not have any vacancies at the moment? If there are, then you could see if they have a waiting list that you could put his name on so that you could move him from the out of area place when a local place becomes available. If there are simply no places at all (whether or not they have vacancies) then it depends very much on whether SS can find somewhere out of area. They are duty bound to find somewhere that can meet his needs and will accept the LA rate

Do not bring him home - he now needs a whole team of people, day and night, which SS will not provide (even if he gets CHC)

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
One thing to bear in mind that the Care/Nursing home have final say as to whether someone can have a place there. If they don't think that they can meet his needs they will say no to having him.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
No, you dont have any rights in insisting he stays local. First and foremost are his needs- mums unfortunately come second.

the only way is pay a top up, or accept what is offered, (And is quite often the way)

Sueperzoom

Aug 15, 2021
Thank you everyone. Every thing about dementia is utterly heartbreaking. As if watching your loved one slowly disappearing day after day isn't hard enough, the constant battle for support and trying to do your best for everyone is exhausting. ?

update2020

Jan 2, 2020
Thank you everyone. Every thing about dementia is utterly heartbreaking. As if watching your loved one slowly disappearing day after day isn't hard enough, the constant battle for support and trying to do your best for everyone is exhausting. ?
My PWD was homed out of area. The CH was brilliant. Where none of the care homes in our area could cope with him, this one did a wonderful job. There were many people from ‘out of area’ there. So the outcome was much better for him even though it made visits harder for me.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Its all very difficult. My mum is out of area but that doesn't matter anymore. After looking at a number of places in area I have to say mum has landed on her feet where she is, and that is the most important thing at the end of the day, even though it is a distance to travel