Care Home Notice

Sydney21

Sep 25, 2021
My mother's Care Home has given 30 days Notice for her to leave due to my dispute with the GM/RM about their Care assessments being performed without me as POA. I have requested more information before agreeing to the increase in costs, which they have not provided. The Care assessments dictate Care costs and appear to have issues included that I’m not aware of or haven’t had any discussions about. My mother is mostly happy with where she is as long as she sees me/family. I supplement her Care daily to support her staying there. I don’t wish to move her but they wont communicate with me as her POA. This situation is due to poor communication. No where is perfect but I have an LPA for a reason. Is there anyway I can over rule the Notice given in her best interests?? She is self funding so finances are also an issue which is why I have asked to understand their assessment/costing criteria (also have LPA for Property & Finance.)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please phone Dementia Connect Helpline.

Support line opening hours​

Call us for support on 0333 150 3456
  • Monday – Wednesday 9:00am – 8:00pm
  • Thursday – Friday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
  • Saturday – Sunday: 10:00am – 4:00pm

Sydney21

Sep 25, 2021
Please phone Dementia Connect Helpline.

Support line opening hours​

Call us for support on 0333 150 3456
  • Monday – Wednesday 9:00am – 8:00pm
  • Thursday – Friday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
  • Saturday – Sunday: 10:00am – 4:00pm
Thank you. I will try contacting this support on Monday

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Sydney21
Admiral Nurses may be able to assist too

and CarersUK

and Ageuk

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Unfortunately no, you can't force a care home to look after your mother if they don't want to. They are regulated private businesses ( usually) and if the contract provided for notice of 30 days then they have the right to give 30 days' notice.

In any case your relationship with the care home has clearly broken down completely and there would be some considerable advantages in moving mum to a new one where you could support her care in partnership with the management.

Sydney21

Sep 25, 2021
Unfortunately no, you can't force a care home to look after your mother if they don't want to. They are regulated private businesses ( usually) and if the contract provided for notice of 30 days then they have the right to give 30 days' notice.

In any case your relationship with the care home has clearly broken down completely and there would be some considerable advantages in moving mum to a new one where you could support her care in partnership with the management.
Yes I have started the process as it may be a blessing in disguise and decided my energies will be better spent ensuring no one else suffers what we have
Thank you