Care home keeps sending my father to a&e

joop77

Apr 10, 2019
My father with advanced alzheimer's and vascular dementia moved into a care home in December.

He's been sent to a&e 6 times since he moved in. 2 of those have been in the last 2 weeks.

My dad has what the GP says are Vascular Dementia 'twiglet' episodes, he's never had a stroke or bleed and when he has the shakes & looses mobility its the blood being restricted to certain parts of the brain. My borther who gets called when this happens says it never looks like a stroke. However the home keep taking the track that he might have had a stroke so they send him to A&E and he gets poked and prodded for several hours and then released with an all clear. He starts walking and his speech gets clearer a few days later. (as clear as it was anyway)

His GP has been concerned about a lump and anemia. Today the home rang and said there was a bruise on my father and he complained of pain so they called the Dr who advised to send him to A&E. The A&E said my dad didn't have anemia, there was no lump and the bruise was at least a week old, and my father being unsteady would bump into things. The x-ray and bloods also came back normal. So again he's being discharged.

So I called the home and asked what happened again - the story changed, they said my dad was in a great deal of pain and they called the Risk and intervention team out who assessed and advised an ambulance. A&E said my father was admitted because of concern over the bruise, no pain was reported.

I've got no idea who I should be listening to.

The home, the GP and A&E are all contradicting each other. We rarely get the same story twice, my dad is usually in good spirits but the home insists something is wrong. I'm at the point of thinking the ambulance calling is excessive. I've no idea what to do.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The home is probably watching it`s back @joop77.

There are so many scare stories about the neglect of people in care they are being over cautious to cover themselves.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I can understand the CH wanting to cover themselves but they do sound like they are being overly cautious. My mother has falls, some minor and some not, I'm informed about them all but the CH always seem to correctly assess the need to call the doctor or paramedics. It's very difficult to get the true picture when it is filtered to you through three different sources, but I am not sure what you can do about it. Do you think it would help to have a meeting with the care home manager?