Care home - issues with hot water supply

Onlyme_

Dec 28, 2016
West Mids, UK
My mom has been in a good care home since March this year following unsuccessful care at home, a fall, water infections, extended hospital stay, diagnosis - like so many other people’s paths. Although the last 2 CQC reports have been Requires Improvement the actual care provided is very good and my mom is very happy and settled there.
However, over the last 3 months or so there have been major issues with the hot water meaning that parts of the home do not have any running hot water. My moms room is in the most badly impacted part of the home so she has not had any running hot water in her bathroom at all for a long time. Without boring you with details, the problem is with water pressure in the local area so not actually their fault, but they seem to have been quite ineffective at sorting it out and I’ve been told lots of stories about their plans to fix it but, despite a new manager actually getting a company in to install new boilers and pipes etc, it’s all still in progress.
My mom has been very upset about the situation and although they are supposed to bring her some hot water at night and in the morning, they often forget or by the time she’s ready to use the water it has drained away down the sink. They are taking her for showers right over the other side of the building but these are not as often as she would like.
I’ve been complaining verbally and asking for updates for ages but have recently complained in writing at the suggestion of the manager. It was prompted when they handed me an invoice for payment on the same day that I was having a rant about it! What I’m not sure about is whether I should pay the invoice or not - I don’t see why we should pay full whack when my mom hasn’t had the full service. We are self funding (house sale to cover) so already paying more than a lot of other people there. Am interested in views of others - am I being unreasonable? And if I’m saying i want the fees reduced, how much is a fair amount?
Thanks in advance x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't have any experience of the issue in a CH but I have asked for, and got, a reduction in rent when services weren't as expected/promised. I don't think you would be unreasonable in asking for some reduction in fee.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Onlyme_
do CQC and the Local Authority know about this?
it's one thing for the home to be having a problem, it's another that they haven't put systems in place to fully overcome it - and having hot water on tap or at least readily available is, to me, a basic requirement in a care home
I assume the heating of your mum's room isn't affected
I would be asking about a rebate of some kind if this were happening in my dad's home for so long
and after 3 months, now into winter, I'd be contacting my local councillor and wondering whether the local press are aware

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
In terms of reduction in fees, always worth chancing it. Not the same situation at all but I had various issues with a hotel once, which didn't affect the holiday, but I wrote a long letter of complaint on the off chance and got a significant voucher for next time (we were going again).

Go for a % reduction higher than you want as these things often end up negotiated to midway.

If it is a water pressure issue, then it is the water authority's issue, and presumably they are trying to rectify it, but instant hot water devices (showers and boilers) don't work without enough pressure. The Central heating should be on a separate system and I would expect it to be unaffected.

It seems odd to be talking of getting new boilers in if it is an external water pressure issue, although originally working and then not and only some parts suffering ties in with water pressure. Having said that larger pipes and new boilers would deal with a pressure issue, and to have someone in within 3 months is pretty quick given the timescales it takes to get quotes and book work in.

If there are a number of people affected and she needs a lot of help I'm guessing there is only so much they can do, but if the water is draining away, can they fit a better plug into wash basin so the hot water stays until she uses it or provide the water in a bowl?

ASM

Mar 24, 2015
Hi Onlyme,

It seems unreasonable that you should continue paying the full amount for your mothers stay at this care home as they are not able to provide basic facilities anyone would expect but especially when the customer is a vulnerable person. You have spoken of complaining verbally and writing a complaint. What was the response? Was it satisfactory? Can you follow it up with a further letter comprehensively explaining to the management company your concerns. Acknowledge that the new manager is trying to resolve the situation but state when you have complained and what the response has been as it does not appear to have improved. Ask for a reduction in fees until the situation is resolved and outline what you want to see as a temporary measure. Who is your mother's key worker? Can they be more proactive on your behalf. I like you pay in full for my father's care and the new manager is tackling an enormous backlog of maintenance, nothing quite as significant as water issues, but I have written in the past to the management company to help reinforce the need for action which the manager and staff are trying to deal with. Another suggestion is to read the CQC report and quote it in your letter. Send a copy to the manager as well as the management company and if you don't get a reply within a reasonable period write again stating you have heard nothing etc. If the care home genuinely want to raise their CQC status they wont ignore you but a formal approach is probably going to be more successful than more complaints.