Care home in full lockdown

LynnC123

Aug 21, 2021
I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties. It makes me increasingly convinced that we should not be considering putting our mum in a care home at this current time. We may stick with the at home care. Her carers wear PPE, but family never has (it's inconceivable).

Care homes should not be treated like hospitals (or surely all residents would qualify for continuing care funding). It is just too cruel to separate alzheimers patients from their loved ones in this way- either through PPE requirements or excessive lockdown. Quality time is too precious.

LynnC123

Aug 21, 2021
Current Gov. Guidance on Visitors to Care Homes, is that there should be one named Essential Care Giver, who is allowed access (including physical contact) to their loved one regardless of the situation. Basically, treating the ECG like any member of staff. This is now seen as essential to the health & well being of residents. Is anyone finding that care homes are taking this on board, or not?

LynnC123

Aug 21, 2021
Just a hopeful update- we have checked with the care home we had hoped my mum could use. They have confirmed that they will be following the new Essential Care Giver guidance- which promises one named family member will always be allowed close contact with a resident, even in a lockdown (tests will be mandatory of course). So that's good. Always check a care home's policies on this.