care home help??

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Hi everyone. Mum started going to a day centre in sept last year, shes very happy there and enjoys going. My husband and i try to keep mum clean and tidy but she screams and says we hurt her when we try to cut her toe nails etc. I wrote a note to the ch to ask if a chiropodest visited the home and if i paid could they cut her toe nails? They never replied! Was i wrong to ask? Is that not within their duties? Im not sure if they would undertake such tasks. Can anyone help? Dont want to ask things of them if they dont do it, just not sure of what they would do?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Get him referred to Foot Health (an NHS community service) - they should do this for free. OH has been getting his toenails cut by them for ages and when I asked them to see him at the day centre for his appointments, they had no problem with this.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
It's a perfectly reasonable request, chelsea girl, and you certainly weren't wrong to ask the question. I think many care homes have this sort of service going in. Why not give the home a ring and ask to speak to the manager? I think you have every right to know what sort of things they can offer, please don't be afraid to ask.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
They have probably put your letter down and forgotten about it. Human error rather than something is wrong. This is totally an acceptable thing to ask. I would though see what the community can do for free though. Why pay for something when you can have it for free

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
If she only attends the care home on daily basis, they probably would not organise this for you. I'd get something sorted yourself, either through gp or privately. I went down the private path and found a wonderful lady who visits every 8 weeks. She has all the right equipment, creams etc and mum loves it. A lot less stressful than me attempting the job with nail scissors or clippers, costs £30. All I have to do before her visit is get mum to soak her feet in warm soapy water. I also take mum to our local hairdresser to have a good old fashioned manicure, costs £12.

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
Mums care agency arranged for the chiropodist to visit her at home every month. It's pricy but works really well.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
care home help

Thank u everyone for ur comments. I will look into everything you've suggested. You never know how much you can put on care homes and i didnt want to overstep the mark. Now i have a clearer idea of whats acceptable and whats not lol. Thank u x