1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

    Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

    You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Care Home Funding Shortfall

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Poppy050691, Jan 6, 2016.

  1. Poppy050691

    Poppy050691 Registered User

    Aug 3, 2015

    My nan moved in to her care home around a month ago. She is self funding and my mum is currently in the process of obtaining a court of protection order for control of her finances. My nan will be self funding.

    My mum has just phone me extremely upset and worried as she has received a letter from my nan's home detailing the 'shortfall' (i believe this is the shortfall that can not be paid because my nan's pension isn't covering it but i'm not definite!) they have sent a letter stating from the beginning of my nan's stay the shortfall adds up to 400 and provides details of who to make cheque payments to etc. My mum is so worried now that the home expect this money now, which she can no way afford, giving that the court of protection order can take 6 months or so to come through she is worried she will be expected to cover the fees until this time but would then be able to claim them back. However paying them out of her own pocket is just not an option she simply can't afford it.

    All of us are new to this and really don't know what is expected. She has called the care home manager to put her mind at ease but she is unavailable and i just want to see if i can get her an answer as soon as possible to stop her worrying.

    I would be really grateful if someone could give me any advise with regards my concerns?

    Thank you in advance for your help!

  2. tatty

    tatty Registered User

    Oct 14, 2015
    Hi Poppy

    Sorry I don't know much about CH payments and self funding but I would nothave thought CH can expect your mum to pay UnLESS she has signed something to agree to pay any short fall, which I doubt is the case from your post.

    My concern would be what the CH will do in the meantime before your mum is able to control your Nan's finances.

    I suggest your mum speaks to the CH ( which I know she has tried to do) and get support/ advice form Alzheimers society and Age Concern as they will have good advice and knowledge to help your mum sort it all out.

    Can I ask Has Nan lost mental capacity ? I assume so as Power of attorney still takes a while but is quicker than 6months but Nan would need capacity to grant one.
    Sorry I'm not much help but many people will be, hope you get the reassurance you all need asap.

    Welcome to TP

    Tatty x
  3. Spiro

    Spiro Registered User

    Mar 11, 2012
    If you are planning to sell her home to pay for the care home fees, then you can apply for a deferred payment. In the meantime she could use her savings, assuming she has some.

    Your Mum needs to contact the finance department of your local council, however if your Nan is known to social services then the finance department should already be aware of the situation.

    I'm sure someone who knows more about this will answer your query soon.
  4. tigerlady

    tigerlady Registered User

    Nov 29, 2015
    You don't say if your nan owned her house. If she does, than as Spiro says, you can apply for a deferred payment until the house is sold, and in the meantime pay out of her savings if she has any. She should also be claiming top rate attendance allowance which would also go towards the care home fees.

    If she doesn't own a house, and has savings of less than 14,250, then the council should pay the shortfall - unfortunately most councils do not allow for paying what most care homes charge - for instance, where I live, the council will only top up to around £400 a week, and most care homes cost a lot more than that. I don't think care homes can force relatives to make up the shortfall.

    You or your nan should have been told upfront what the care home would charge.

    Here is a link which might be useful

  5. Pete R

    Pete R Registered User

    Jul 26, 2014
    Unfortunately if the Nan has lost capacity and no one has POA (which is what is suggested by the OP) then you cannot apply for a Deferred Payment Agreement. There is no one to sign the necessary legal documents.:(
  6. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    Isnt there a twelve week disregard if there is a house to sell?
  7. Bod

    Bod Registered User

    Aug 30, 2013
    Can your Nan still sign a cheque?
    If you write the cheque, all she does is sign.

  8. Pete R

    Pete R Registered User

    Jul 26, 2014
    If non housing assets are below £23500 then normally yes.☺

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.