Care Home funding section 117

Clare70

Apr 15, 2019
My mother in law has dementia and was earlier this year sectioned under section 3. We have now been informed this has been recinded thought she will recieve financial care under section 117. We now have to look for a dementia nursing home for her, which I have begun to look into today however I'm trying to establish at what level financially the section 117 covers. I am told local authorites cover up to £800 a week for care but most of the homes I've called today charge anything from £1300 upwards. Whilst we, as a family can help in some ways we cannot afford £500 per week.

Whilst I'm trying to get clarification, can anybody shed any light for me
Thanks in advance

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Legally it is up to the CCG/LA to find a suitable placement and fund it.
You can just sit back and leave it to the system to find 'somewhere'.
This 'somewhere' may be unacceptable to you for a variety of reasons.
If you decide 'elsewhere' note that s117 permits first party funding.

Clare70

Apr 15, 2019
Legally it is up to the CCG/LA to find a suitable placement and fund it.
You can just sit back and leave it to the system to find 'somewhere'.
This 'somewhere' may be unacceptable to you for a variety of reasons.
If you decide 'elsewhere' note that s117 permits first party funding.

Hi, thanks. Can I ask how do you know this? We've just been told to find a dementia nursing home, that's all. when I first asked questions I was told 'there is a book with care homes, find one in there'. Not very helpful I'm afraid.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Shedrech 's post contain's a link in agreement with my post

Section 117 of the Act deals with after-care services. These are the services that must be provided to someone when they are released from detention under the Mental Health Act. Local authorities and the NHS have a joint duty to make arrangements for after-care services for people who have previously been detained for treatment under section 3 of the MHA and who require them.

After-care support is not means-tested. This means that everyone who needs it will receive it, regardless of their financial situation. It must be provided free of charge and this includes care in the person's own home and paying for care home fees.

Hi, thanks. Can I ask how do you know this?

My late wife had LBD, since her death . with knowledge gained,I have attempted to support people, both locally and via TP

Essentially the CCG/LA have a duty to fully fund assessed care, let them stew for a bit and see what they come up with, It's up to you to decide on voluntary top ups, as I said before s117 is a situation where first party top ups (person in care) are allowed.

Last edited: