Care home for couples?

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
Grandad is getting to the point of needing to go into respite, now and more in the future but Nan doesn't want to go through the stress of leaving him each time.

She has now bought up the proposal of them both going into a care home. Her thoughts are that Grandad would be looked after with her around, but she can come and go as she please's without worrying about him.

Has anyone been through the same sort of thing or can give me any advice as to whether this is feasible?

Nan is going to talk to the social worker when she visits next.

Louise

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Care home for couples

The Care Home where my Mum was, before she had her fall, were in the process of converting the second floor into two or three apartments suitable for couples who might want to be independent but supported if necessary. It is in Kent, but I should think if one home has thought of it, others may also have done the same. There is probably a list of homes for your area available from Social Services.
Kayla

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
My Mother lives in an extra care facility which is attached to a nusing home. They're 1 bedroom apartments (or suites as they call them) and a lot of them are occupied by couples where 1 of them is considerably more able than the other. There are domicillary care workers on site to provide assistance as required. It's not cheap, but it's a possible solution. She lives here
http://www.richmondcarevillage.co.uk/close_care_suites_intro.php

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
I live in Bristol and there are certainly a few homes around here that have facilitie for couples. I thought it was an absolutely brilliant idea when I first heard of it.
Good luck hope you find one that is suitable.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I would think that like most things a large consideration would be finances. If your grandparents were intending and able to pay for this themselves then they would hopefully be able to find somewhere. However, if they don't have sufficient funds of their own to do this then you may find that your grandfather will be paid for by the Local Authority but your nan wouldn't.

Many homes do have some double rooms, although I believe they are phasing them out. There are 2 couples in my mum's nursing home. I hope it works out for them but if it would involve selling their house then obviously it has to be thought through very carefully.

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
Thanks for your replies:)

Jenniferpa - Your Mum's home looks fab, they don't have one in our area unfortunately.

Nan and Grandad live in a council house but do have quite a bit of savings. I think Nan would be quite happy to have a single room if they don't do "couple" rooms. At least this would mean that she would get a good nights sleep.

We've been looking online and there are very few local authority run homes that take people with dementia which is a shame but we will look into this more and speak to the social worker about it. I expect we'll have to look at private homes. It's just a shame that Nan and Grandad's hard earned savings will have to be spent on their care and not something more luxurious!:)

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Grandaughter 1 said:
Thanks for your replies:)
Nan and Grandad live in a council house but do have quite a bit of savings. I think Nan would be quite happy to have a single room if they don't do "couple" rooms. At least this would mean that she would get a good nights sleep.

We've been looking online and there are very few local authority run homes that take people with dementia which is a shame but we will look into this more and speak to the social worker about it. I expect we'll have to look at private homes. It's just a shame that Nan and Grandad's hard earned savings will have to be spent on their care and not something more luxurious!:)

Even if a home is local authority run then the same rules would still apply as regards funding ie if your grandparents have sufficient capital they would have to pay for themselves. Also, your nan would have to consider how she would feel living in a home with ALL dementia patients. I am sure she would be happier if she had people to talk to.

I would also proceed very cautiously as far as giving up their council house is concerned. If they move into a home and then your nan is unhappy where would she go?

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
There are homes where they have four separate houses depending on the level of care needed. One partner could get a room in the EMI house and the other in a residential house, in the same grounds, they could see each other daily.

I hope your social worker can give you all the information about homes in their area.

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
noelphobic said:
Also, your nan would have to consider how she would feel living in a home with ALL dementia patients. I am sure she would be happier if she had people to talk to.

I would also proceed very cautiously as far as giving up their council house is concerned. If they move into a home and then your nan is unhappy where would she go?

They are my thoughts too. I am hoping that she would find a mixed home with not just dementia patients in it. As for her council home, she is in a bungalow but originally wanted to move to sheltered accommodation as she is soooo lonely where she is. Obviously this would be ideal for Nan but Grandad needs more care.

Louise x