1. jellymac

    jellymac Registered User

    Nov 29, 2014
    West Midlands

    I wondered if anyone can help me please, my mom has advanced Alzheimer's and she moved into a care home in April last year. When she moved in the council told us they would pay £436 and we would have to pay a top up of £97 a week, we agreed to this. In December my dad got a letter from the council to say he owed them over £5000, which turned out to be my moms state and work pensions. We were never told that they would take my moms pensions to go towards the £436, we didn't have a clue that they did this. My dad agreed to the top up as he thought he could use my moms pensions for this. My dad has used their savings so far but on Thursday he received a letter from the home to say from the 1st April they are putting the weekly fees up by 20%, as the council wont pay any more this means my dad will have to pay £203 a week. There is no way my dad will be able to afford this much. We really do not know what to do. It has been so heart breaking as it is having my mom in the home and now the thought have having to move her into a new cheaper one is just devastating. Has anyone got any advise on what we can do please. Thank you.
  2. Philbo

    Philbo Registered User

    Feb 28, 2017

    Does you mum or dad have a local authority case manager? If not, it would be worth contacting your local authority's Adult Social Care department to seek some urgent advice?

    I think that other TP users will be along shortly who will be more experienced than myself and able to provide more detailed advice.

    Good luck and keep us posted.

  3. jaymor

    jaymor Volunteer Moderator

    Jul 14, 2006
    State pension and any private pension is used towards care if the LA are involved. Half of a private pension is left with a spouse in the case of a couple. Attendance allowance also stops. So if no pension has been handed over then it is owed to the LA.

    Only if you are self funding do you keep pensions and attendance allowance.
  4. Pete R

    Pete R Registered User

    Jul 26, 2014
    Hi Jellymac,
    Someone from the Local Authority (council) really should have explained to your Dad how the system works. Unfortunately your Mum's state pension, half of any private pension and any benefits like Attendance Allowance go towards what the LA will pay. Your Mum's funds cannot be used to pay the top up at all in these circumstances.:( You can try making an official complaint but I would imagine the bill will still have to be paid.

    The LA have to be able to provide you with details of at least one Care Home they will fully fund that can meet your Mum's needs. Again if they did not do this originally it is well worth making a complaint. Obviously if you do not like the home they suggest then you do have to pay a top up. If they did do this it is well worth asking them again as this may force them to up their rate.

    The one good thing about having the council involved is that they will have a contract with the home. Sometimes it stipulates any permissible % increase. If it does it may force the home to come down however it may also mean the home dig in their heals leaving you with just the choices of paying the extra or moving out.

    Sorry I cannot be more positive.:(
  5. nitram

    nitram Registered User

    Apr 6, 2011
    North Manchester
    You need to contact the LA finance dept.

    Is the top up paid to the LA or directly to the home?
    Have you a copy of the LA statement of how the care was to be funded?
    Have you got a copy of anything you signed agreeing to the top up?

    You could take all the written information you have to either CAB or AgeUK and ask for legal advice before you approach the LA, ring in first and make an appointment so you will see the most appropriate person.
  6. Essie

    Essie Registered User

    Feb 11, 2015

    Just to clarify, Jaymor is correct in saying that Attendence Allowance ceases when someone goes into LA funded care.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.